Sunday, December 05, 2004

Midwest Intervew Tour

I returned from The Midwest Interview Tour late Friday afternoon. The trip proved a success, I believe; I connected with most of the faculty, the dean, and especially the students. I'm trying not to get too excited about the possibility of an offer (two candidates visit the school during the upcoming week), but I think that's a real possibility. Unless the remaining candidates really blow the socks off the students, I have that vote secured (several students already emailed the chair and pleaded with her to hire me). Since Midwest College (false name to protect the innocent) emphasizes teaching over research, the student voice has a great deal of pull.

The position itself would be perfect for me. The school is founded on a tradition of spirituality, service, and social justice and the professors are expected to display a commitment to the same values. Me, committed to spirituality and social justice? What? The communication department is in transition and will be adding four yet unamed courses in Fall 2005. The Chair stressed the need for a class combining media studies and rhetoric; Communication and Popular Culture, anyone? The Chair seemed genuinely enthused about the idea of my course--she mentioned it a couple times during our drive back to the airport.

The only drawback to the position is the location. The college is located in a small midwest town and will require a significant lifestyle adjustment on the part of STK and I. Her job might be a problem, too. Finding an art position in a town that has 4 public schools will be challenging. There are two cities within an hour drive and STK would likely have to look for work in those areas. In that case, we'd probably move somewhere between our places of work and split the commute.

If I'm offered the position, I should hear something before the Christmas holiday.

No comments: