Sunday, December 12, 2004

Critiquing Pop Culture

Okay, I managed to slog through the remaining popular culture essays (I also finished tweaking a revised journal article that will go back to reviewers on Monday AM--I've been a busy scholar, today). Since I ranted about the lack of original ideas--there were a handful of excellent essays--I decided to offer a quick list of artifacts that I think are worth a second look. Take a quick look at the actual assignment, then take a gander at my artifacts. You'll note that I make this assignment very clear cut. Most of my students are incoming freshman and haven't done any writing at the college level.
----
Utilizing the concepts of hegemonic (commonly held attitudes, beliefs, ideas) and counterhegemonic messages (messages that contradict, challenge, or resist prevailing cultural attitudes, ideas, beliefs), analyze a popular culture artifact of your own choosing. Appropriate artifacts include, but are not limited to, advertisements, television programs, films, music, architecture, clothing/attire, and art. As with all our writing assignments, I expect you to explain the concepts (hegemonic and counterhegemonic messages) and apply them to the artifact for analysis. Final papers should be 3-5 pages in length (double-spaced) and adhere to the tenets of good writing (organization, syntax, punctuation, etc.).

INTRODUCTION (½ page)
A good introduction catches the reader’s attention, identifies the artifact for analysis, reveals the theoretical approach to analyzing the artifact, and presents a clear thesis/preview statement.

BODY
The body of a critique usually focuses on four elements: description, method, analysis, and discussion/effects.

Description (½ page). Provide a brief description of the artifact for analysis. This description should give the reader the basic feel or gist of an artifact. For example, a description of a television program would likely include a discussion of the main characters and a typical storyline. A description should give the reader a basic understanding of the artifact. Always assume that a reader won’t have access to your artifact.

Method (½ page). Explain the concepts of hegemonic and counterhegemonic messages. This section of a paper is frequently called the “theory” section.

Analysis (2 pages). Discuss at least two hegemonic messages and two counterhegemonic messages put forth by your artifact. Use specific examples from the text to support your observations.

Discussion (1 page). Based on your analysis, how might this artifact influence the way we view our world? What does the artifact tell us about our attitudes, beliefs, and values? Does the artifact perpetuate or challenge a cultural myth? Does the artifact reinforce the dominant discourses of our society? Is that a positive or negative? Conversely, does the artifact challenge dominant discourses? Go beyond the obvious and discuss how you think the artifact might influence our culture. For instance, I could make the argument that the familial myth presented by 7th Heaven is a move toward integrating traditional family values with a more contemporary image of the family (mixed families, families challenged by real-life issues, etc.)

CONCLUSION ( ½ page)
A solid conclusion offers a brief summary of your points and offers a decisive closing statement.
----
Top Ten Artifacts for Analysis.

Harry Potter.
Snoopy (or Peanuts).
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer (the holiday special).
The DaVinci Code.
Starbucks.
The PowerPuff Girls.
Rocky (The Denver Nuggets' Mascot)
The Green Lantern.
Garden State.
Someone's blog (Mike or Tiffany would work just fine)

Less than five minutes and I generated TEN original topics. Your assignment is to generate your own Top Ten list of original artifacts for analysis. Go!

5 comments:

Michael said...

Okay, here's my list of original Pop Culture Icons. It's a bit more obsure than yours, I'm afraid, since you took a lot of the obvious ones.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (TV special)
The Lord of the Rings
Tiger Woods
Rush
The Onion
"Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
Dixie Chicks
The X-Men
Happy Bunny T-shirts
Harley Davidson motorcycles

How's that?

Michael said...

As for my blog being an 'artifact', I'd be interested to know what might be considered counterhegemonic in my writings. Have I become a radical without even knowing it? (Not that there's anything wrong with that....)

Anonymous said...

I got yer artifacts right here, baby.

Britney Spears videos
Pride flags/marches
Cell phone ring tones
Bridget Jones and sequel
The morning show on any popular radio station
McDonald's salads
The Incredibles
Mean Girls
The Seven Habits of Highly Efficient People
Sports Illustrated


--Sheila

dilliwag said...

You're all getting overrides for the Spring Semester. Class meets every Tuesday and Thursday from 11-12:15 PM. Don't be late.

Michael said...

Thanks for the invite, but with the Dreadnought getting 17 mpg, I can't afford the commute. Sorry.

Hey, that gives me an idea...what about SUVs as an artifact?