The Rude Pundit really cracks me up.
When O'Reilly declared that "overwhelmingly, America is Christian. And the holiday is a federal holiday honoring the philosopher Jesus," all the Rude Pundit could wonder is where the fuck's Plato's holiday? Or Kierkegaard's? Or perhaps John Locke's, considering his influence on, say, the actual creation of the country? And on Christmas, when people are heading to work at Wal-Mart and Denny's and all the other places that stay open so that Bill O'Reilly can have a merry Christmas, we'll all be thankful that even more overwhelmingly, in this America, cash, not Christ, is king. Is that insulting enough to O'Reilly's "majority"?
While I don't consider myself Christian, I do celebrate the holiday with my family (the majority of whom do consider themselves Christian). In and of itself, I have nothing against Christmas--I realize that roughly 80 percent of the U.S. does practice (or profess, rather. I've met a lot of people who claim to be Christian but don't really practice the religion) some form of the same religion. Much to O'Reilly's chagrine, that means one in five people you meet aren't Christian. Egads!
1 comment:
Only one in five? That's a little surprising, especially when you factor in the 'profess vs. practice' element. I am reminded of a saying I once heard: "Sitting in church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you an automobile."
Post a Comment