Scrap the Greenback. Why haven't folks here in the US taken to $1 coins? I think I'll buy some of these and start using them. While I rarely carry cash--I'm a debit card junky--I can certainly do my part and buy the odd cup of java with a golden John Adams. Check out how "In God we Trust" and the year are stamped on the edge of the coin. Cool.
RIP Captain America. I've been ranting about this move by Marvel for a couple weeks now. I like this author's take, though. In essence, he argues that the symbol of Captain America no longer accurately represents the ideals of our nation. Steve Rogers represents truth and justice, two values that are in short supply when it comes to US American politics. There might be a convention paper in this argument.
Surf's Up . . . On Titan! Have I ever mentioned how much I love to read about space exploration? The probability of methane/ethane lakes on Titan increases with some of the latest radar imagery. What the heck would a methane/ethane lake look like or feel like? It's mind boggling that we can discover this kind of stuff from a distance of 800,000,000 miles.
3 comments:
1. I like the dollar coins too, always have. It makes no sense to me not to use them. The problems with two previous iterations--Eisenhowers were too big, and Susan B. Anthonys looked too much like a quarter--have been solved with the new generation of dollar coins. Bring on the golden buckos!
2. I can see the argument "Cap had to die to prove a point." I don't like it, but I can see it.
3. Ethane and methane, in liquid form, are both clear and colorless. So a methane/ethane lake would probably look at least a little like a lake of water, but it would be VERY cold. As for how it would feel, both compounds are simple hydrocarbons, so it'd probably feel like swimming in WD-40.
Great stuff today!
1. I have five gold George Washington's jangling in my pocket presently. The John Adams coin won't be released for a couple of months.
2. Don't get me wrong, Mikey, I still think the move sucks.
3. So, much less viscous than water? If so, how difficult would it be to float some kind of probe on the surface? More difficult than sending something simple like a canoe?
1. John Adams always seemed your kind of guy, a real rabble-rouser. I love the portrayal of him in 1776.
2. It sucks indeed.
3. Floating something on the surface might be a little tricky. Small to medium-length hydrocarbons tend to be less dense than water (which is why oil floats on water), so you'd probably need something really buoyant to keep from sinking. The air bags they're using now for th Mars explorers would work, if they were made out of something oil-insoluble.
Post a Comment