Anyone who spends even a bit of time with me will soon realize that I love camouflage . . . as a fashion print. I'm a peace activist so I don't have much use for the military or sport applications of the pattern. I just like the way it looks. I have a traditional camouflage jacket ($10 army surplus), several pairs of camouflage pants (urban, ultraviolet, blue tiger), and a couple camouflage bandannas. When I tuck my camouflage BDUs in my doc martens, which is not an uncommon look for me when I'm away from school, I'd like to think I'm making some kind of statement against military action. There's a bit of irony in a pacifist sporting military fashion, don't you think?
Anyway, I'd love to see the Camouflage exhibit showing at the Imperial War Museum, London. I think I need a pair of those camouflage Doc Martens. I wonder if they come in steel toe?
Is it weird that I'm fascinated by the history of modern warfare? I could watch documentaries on WWI & WWII all day. I'm particularly interested in WWII, the last conflict for which I think I could make a reasonable case for military action. Although I should add that I believe WWII could have been avoided had Hitler encountered fierce diplomatic resistance.
1 comment:
Your attitude is similar to mine. I've been asked, with palpable skepticism, "why does someone against war wear military fashion?" By colleagues, even. I consider it my "support the troops, not the war" statement, among other things. And I suppose my camo miniskirt made from fatigues that I wear clubbing is a sort of "beat swords into plowshares" kind of thing.
Post a Comment