Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Reality Bites

The trip home was long, but uneventful, and we finally collapsed in an exhausted heap around 4 AM Sunday. After a few hours sleep, it was back to reality for me. School, school, and more school. Three days later and I'm almost caught up. I should know better than to take a vacation during Spring Break. Despite the stress of falling behind, I'm glad we made the trip as I really needed a city fix. Most of the time, we're okay living in a small community. Once in a while, however, we long for the hustle and bustle.

Unfortunately, school isn't the only source of stress in our lives. Since returning, we've had to face a few situations we wish we could avoid. M called last night and asked if I'd be able to attend the wedding at the end of the month. With a great deal of regret, I informed him that we just can't afford the trip. Skipping the celebration is killing me, actually. M and I have been friends for over 25 years; we've seen one another through extreme highs and dreadful lows. I would love nothing more than to be in SLC come April 21, but that just won't happen. Dammit.

Which brings me to the ugliest of the various reality checks: the condo. After a year on the market and thousands of mortgage dollars paid, the condo still hasn't sold. We've totally gutted one of our retirement accounts and have no additional $$$ from which to draw. The "F" word, and not the profane term that seems to upset the older generation, has been flowing freely in our home. That's right--foreclosure. If the condo doesn't sell by June 30, we'll have to let it go. STK and I aren't used to being in this situation as we both have perfect credit. We really don't have that much debt and while things are tight from time to time, paying the bills isn't a problem. Paying for two living spaces, one we occupy and one we don't, isn't feasible. We've considered everything possible to keep the place up-to-date until it sells which, given the poor state of the market, could be a good long time. We've considered walking away from my position and moving back: STK could land a job fairly easily. Unfortunately, college teaching positions aren't easy to come by--that's why we moved in the 1st place. We've thought about STK & TLO moving back, STK taking a teaching position, and me staying at my present position.* We'd commute back and forth on weekends once a month, maybe twice. We'd be able to spend all the various breaks together, too. That's one of the benefits of two teachers hookin' up. That arrangement would no doubt save the condo but I'd miss watching my son grow up and STK and I would have to learn how to negotiate a long-distance relationship. Ick. Losing the place isn't the end of the world. A condo is a material possession and in the long run those don't count for much. I think it's a matter of our pride more than anything else. When we make a commitment, we both like to fulfill our obligations.

When we accepted the position and made the move last summer, we thought we were doing the right thing for our family. A slower way of life, a safer place for our child, and a lower cost of living all seemed incredibly attractive. The only drawback we saw, and we did see this possibility, was the sale of our place. We convinced ourselves, however, that the place would sell. This was the perfect position for me. The stars aligned! Of course the condo would sell. Ooops. Today, I question whether we made the right decision. Yes, I love my job. In fact, I think it's safe to say there isn't another job out there that's more perfect. The students and administration seem to feel the same way about me, too. Yes, TLO is being raised in a way that wouldn't have been possible last year. He spends about six hours a month in the care of someone other than STK or myself. From almost every angle (lack of Kaladi Coffee and good bagels is another serious shortfall of our present location), this has been a good move. Financially, it's been a freakin' disaster. It will literally take us a decade or more to recoup the retirement $$$ through which we've burned. The only thing that keeps from totally losing my shit over all of this is that I know things could be much, much worse. Food could be difficult to come by, someone could be ill, etc. I keep repeating over and over: it's just a condo, it's just a condo, it's just a condo.

Can I take another vacation? For a week we were able to get away, play with friends and family, drink good coffee, eat terrific bagels, and relax. A few days later and reality returns. Reality is overrated.

*Family and friends in the area would help with TLO, no doubt. If he stayed with me, we'd be dealing with daycare 5 days a week. Another expense. Great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may not be the way you planned it, but the condo problem will soon be resolved. The only thing a good credit rating is good for is another loan. I say "Good riddance!" Leave the past behind and look forward to the future. Your future looks pretty good.

The condo is property, not possession. You have already given it up. Now let it go.

“Pangloss disait quelquefois à Candide: ‘Tous les événements sont enchaînés dans le meilleur des mondes possibles; car enfin, si vous n’aviez pas été chassé d’un beau château à grands coups de pied dans le derrière pour l’amour de Mlle Cunégonde, si vous n’aviez pas été mis à l’Inquisition, si vous n’aviez pas couru l’Amérique à pied, si vous n’aviez pas donné un bon coup d’épée au baron, si vous n’aviez pas perdu tous vos moutons du bon pays d’Eldorado, vous ne mangeriez pas ici des cédrats confits et des pistaches.’

‘Cela est bien dit,’ répondit Candide, ‘mais il faut cultiver notre jardin.’”

—Voltaire, Candide

To translate, when life turns sour, make
Sourdough Bagels.

Anonymous said...

My mom went thru the same thing when we left CA...no one wanted our house by the time we had to leave.

Im actually sorry that we did, because my mom and I liked that house. It was cuz of my idiot father that we had to go abandon it >:o

Your Host said...

Derek, I understand what you're going through with your condo. We, too, finally had to make a choice with our home in Orem and, while I cried a lot, the alternative has been better for us. Sure, we're still digging out from under that little occurance, but you've already told yourself (and us) what matters most. Alabama Hick is spot on - you've got the life you want with the people you love. A foreclosure won't be the end of the world and should be off the record in about seven years anyway.

With that said, I understand your concern over your retirement funds. Does your school offer any kind of retirement support? I'll talk to Michael and see what sort of programs are out there.

We love you and hope that you can find some peace in all of this.

dilliwag said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Tiffany, I have an excellent retirement program through my current school. We're just bummed we raided one of several accounts to no avail. This account was just one part of our retirement plan--we're pretty savvy in that regard, thank goodness.