Thursday, April 06, 2006

Krakatoa

Earlier today, I had a complete and utter meltdown regarding the condo situation. I'm not talking a profanity laced tirade--my normal meltdown--but a throwing things (thankfully, it was a piece of cardboard and plastic bag), screaming at the top of my lungs, shaking my fist at the sky, profanity laced eruption. STK talked with an attorney and he said she'll probably have to look at the B-word as an option if we want to protect our assets and income. If there's a deficiency judgment, and that's a regular occurance with a foreclosure, the bank will come after her for the remaining balance. Bankruptcy apparently forces the lender to look at other options (e.g. Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure). The condo is entirely in her name and she's going to be the one who takes the hit on the deal. I feel like a total schmuck for having asked her to move away from a decade long career and a situation in which we were having no problem making payments on the condo. Yes, I would have been an adjunct professor for the rest of my higher education career had we stayed in Colorado. Today, that doesn't seem like it would have been such a bad choice. Don't get me wrong, I love my present job. At the end of the day, however, I'm not sure it's worth the sacrifices.

Maybe the amazing will happen and the condo will sell in the next month. I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Michael said...

If I may indulge a bit, let me offer the following platitude: Just because your facing difficulties now, that doesn't mean you made the wrong decision a year ago. In my experience, making the right choice makes things more complicated at least as often as if simplifies them.

Considering you, your young family, and your students, something tells me you're exactly where you need to be right now.