Monday, June 28, 2004

Now With Less Vitriol!

After reading my last few blog posts, Mike emailed and asked if I was okay. Looking back, my last few posts have been a little more fiery and attack-oriented than usual. So, time for a couple posts on the lighter side.

Gene recently titled one of his posts, "that smell of smells." I assumed the post was going to relate the tale of a heinous odor. I was wrong. Still, the title got me thinking about smells I love and abhor.

My Favorite Odors:
1. The Library. I love the smell of decaying parchment.
2. Cloves. Put 'em in candles, incense, a recipe, cologne, or in a cigarette. Mmmmm.
3. Amor Amor. Kathleen recently discovered this parfum and I dig it.
4. Fall. Ever notice how the Fall season has a distinct smell? Fresh air mingling with leaves. It's almost like you can smell the drop of temperature.
5. Dog. The dusty/musty smell of my dog's coat.

My Least Favorite Odors:
1. Body odor. Can people really not smell their own stench? Ugh. Nothing triggers my gag reflex better than a whiff of ripe pits. Shower. Deodorant. Now.
2. The food someone in our complex cooks. From time to time, someone in our condo complex cooks a dish that smells like a combination of cabbage and garlic. I'm not opposed to either smells. However, this combination keeps me up at night. Literally. The stench seeps through the walls of our condo and nothing keeps it at bay. We've tried incense, spraying our pillows with cologne, opening a window. Nothing works.
3. The meat department in the supermarket. ::gags:: Since becoming a vegetarian, the smell of raw meat turns my stomach. If I have to venture through that area of a grocery, I take a deep breath and run.
4. An old tavern. Stale beer and cigarettes. Mmmm. Actually, I have a love/hate relationship with this odor. To some extent, the smell is like an odiferous version of siren song. I'm oddly reminded of days gone by. Another part of my brain screams, "Danger, Will Robinson!"
5. Alcohol breath. Ever stood next to a friend after they've had a couple glasses of wine and engaged in intimate conversation? You know, where you're close enough that you can't help bet smell the other person's breath. The smell is even more obvious at a small art gallery opening. Everyone is walking around, sipping wine, and exhaling. Surprisingly, the smell of alcohol doesn't bother me. The smell of alcohol that's been slightly processed by the human body repulses me.

No comments: