4018 Days and Counting
Eleven years ago today (June 2, 1993), I started down the path of recovery. If you want some of the gory details, you can check out the June 2, 2003 entry from last year. Rather than reflecting on the pre-recovery me, I thought I'd focus on where I'm at today. During my first couple weeks of sobriety, I heard someone say, "What you need is an attitude of gratitude." Ugh. I hated hearing that when all I wanted was to get falling down drunk. As time has passed, however, I've learned that there's much for which to be grateful. Today, 4018 days sober, I have an attitude of gratitude.
11 Things for Which I'm Grateful
1. A partner who accepts and loves me for who I am, quirks, idiosyncracies, and all.
2. My sister & parents.
3. Cindy. A friend who helped me get my head screwed on straight a couple years back.
4. Alcoholics Anonymous. 12 simple steps saved my life.
5. A profession that I truly love. There are times when I feel guilty for collecting a paycheck.
6. Joe. Despite all the ups and downs of the last three years, we keep trudging along and helping each other out.
7. Gene. We haven't been great at keeping in touch lately, but I'm forever in his debt for all the late night conversations. Without his advice, geek talk, and musical recommendations, I'm not sure I'd be in the place I am today. He's the one person who really understood where I was at three years ago.
8. Michael. A true and faithful friend who has seen me at my worst and my best. Through it all, he remains a constant. 24 years and counting, Mikey!
9. Keli & Mary. Who says you can't develop intimate friendships via the club scene. Rubbish! Thanks for all the advice, support, and laughs. You should both be ashamed for "sneaking" cigarettes when I'm not watching. I'm one year smober (smoke free) today. Maybe I should celebrate with a smoke . . .
10. Bishop. You truly live up to the title of this man's best friend. I never thought a dog would become such an integral part of my life. I'm glad you picked me all those years ago.
11. My mohawk. In celebration of summer break, I decided to cut my hair. If you thought people gave me funny looks for the Heat Miser look, you should see the looks now. Picture available on request.
3 comments:
Congratulations, Derek. I'm glad you have so much to be grateful for.
Thanks, Tiff!
Glad to be of assistance, old friend. And you've helped me through some rogh times, too, especially recently. I appreciate it. Here's to another 24!
Post a Comment