Saturday, June 26, 2004

F U GW

As there are hundreds of reviews available on the internet, I'll go right to my personal impressions. Watching Moore's film, I found myself experiencing deep sorrow, fury, and amusement. At three different points, I wept. During a scene showing the bed of a pickup truck filled with the bodies of children, I cried so hard that I made an audible sobbing sound. Good thing I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I believe it's okay for men to cry in public. Dozens of points brought me to open laughter. During another scene, I flipped off Curious George Bush. Those sitting around me muttered, "Right on, man."

If you're a supporter of Bush and the Republican party, you'll no doubt write this film off as propaganda just like all the Conservative media pundits. Write it off if you will, but there's not a single piece of information from the film that hasn't been covered in major news outlets during the last three years. Why haven't most people heard about the Bush/Bin Laden/House of Saud relationship? Because the news stories appeared on page 20 of the newspaper, NOT in the headlines. Why aren't people more aware of the civilian casualties in Iraq (most recently estimated to be between 9500-11,000--so much for precision ordinance)? Same answer. The statistics, as well as narratives of personal loss, are there if you know where to look. And that, I think, is the greatest service provided by Moore. He fires people up and challenges them to get educated about issues, to ask questions, and to get involved in the political process.

Some of my favorites segments of the movie:

1. Member after member of the Congressional Black Caucus objecting to the certification of the Florida vote count (thousands of Black voters were wrongfully excluded from the voting process). The formal objection needed the signature of a Senator. Not a single Senator would sign and the issue was never brought to the floor of the Senate for debate. I nearly screamed in frustration during this scene. Spineless fucks. Like it or not, institutional racism still exists in this country.

2. Eggs pelting the Presidential limousine on Inauguration day. That's the only time in U.S. history that the President hasn't been able to walk up to the White House.

3. Audio only account of 9/11. The screen fades to black and the sound of the airliners crashing into the twin towers. Cut to a woman on the street screaming, "Lord, help those people! They're jumping! My God, they're jumping!" Definitely a tear-inducing moment.

4. President Bush speaking to a crowd of supporters. He says: "This is an impressive crowd. The haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base." What an arrogant fucking prick. This is the moment I flipped off the screen. My blood is boiling just thinking about it. Aargh!

5. There's plenty of Iraq War imagery. Most moving, however, are the images from the civilians' POV. I heard Moore had managed to get his hands on unauthorized images from inside Iraq and this proved to be the most moving point of the film for me. Seeing dead and wounded children (very graphic images) left me sobbing. Unlike Michael Moore, I don't believe war is EVER justified. I oppose ALL military solutions. No exceptions. No war. Ever.

6. There's a great segment on the "dangers" of Peace organizations. That one left me laughing and shaking my head.

Ultimately, Moore's film left me with a reinvigorated spirit and commitment to political change. In fact, I made a promise to myself as I left the theater. Somehow, I'm going to raise enough of a racket that I get placed on the Conservative watch list. You know how dangerous we radical Peace mongers can be.

Check out some of my radical ideas.

Neocons: It's unpatriotic to oppose U.S. military operations, you know!
Me: My commitment is to the rights and well-being of all humans, not just our country. I have a right to question unjust decisions made by a government that supposedly represents my wishes, you dolt. Read your constitution. Pick up a little John Locke while you're at it. Ignorance does not equal patriotism.

Neocons: How dare you be disrespectful toward the President (courtesy of my father)!
Me: I'll remind you how much your President respects you: "This is an impressive crowd. The haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base." Your President doesn't respect you. Fawn all you want, I'm taking a page from Dick Cheney's book and telling Curious George to go fuck himself. Until I see something worth respecting, I'll continue to criticize his policies. I'll also employ ad hominems as I see fit.

Neocons: If you oppose military action in Iraq, you support al Qaeda.
Me: Read a freakin newspaper or two, will ya? Iraq had no formal relationship with al Qaeda. In fact, Iraq rebuffed overtures from al Qaeda. Besides, as someone committed to non-violence I don't support any person, country, or organization that uses violence as a means to achieve goals. No. Violence. Ever. Got it?

No comments: