Wednesday, January 14, 2004

WTF Department: Pick-up Lines

I think I may use some of these when I teach Interpersonal Communication this quickly approaching semester. Some of my favs include:

• Are you the tiger on the Frosted Flakes box? Because you’re looking "Grrrrreat!"

• Do you know karate? ’Cause your body sure is kickin’!

• I may not be the best looking guy in here, but I’m the only one talking to you.

• If I had a nickel for every time I saw a woman as beautiful as you, I’d have five cents.

• Hi, I’m Mr. Right--I heard you were looking for me.

• Girl, you must have a license to drive me that crazy!!

• Are you from Tennessee? ’Cause you’re the only ten-I-see.

• My last name is "Visa," because I’m everywhere you want to be!

People don't really use lines like this, do they? Whatever happened to talking to someone about mutual interests? Doesn't that work anymore? Maybe it never did. Truth be told, I was pretty inept at the whole "approach" thing in my single days. In fact, I once went over two years without a date. One year of that was a self-imposed moratorium, the second was due to my own ineptitude. Actually, it was more like a paralyzing fear. I was so fearful of getting shot down that I never asked anyone out. How did I get over it? I never really did. That said, I started to apply some of the principles of public speaking to the dating scene. I maintained a calm & composed exterior while flipping out intenally. Hmmm . . . maybe it's time to compile that "dating tips for cool geeks" list.

No comments: