Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Fricken Fracken ::mumbles stream of expletives::

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SIGNIFICANT HYPERBOLE FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT.*

I was overjoyed to discover that the federal government is about to raise interest rates on student loans. I was under the assumption that my loan was at a fixed rate. However, after looking at my account information I don't think that's the case--I think I'm in the dreaded "variable" loan category. If that's true, a 1.93 percent jump is pretty significant. When you have the amount of student loan debt that I have, it's a HUGE freakin amount over the course of a loan. So, I looked into a student loan consolidation, spent some time filling out the necessary online forms to get the process started, and the site crashed. Argh! That flushing sound you hear is a 1/2 hour of my life going down the tubes.

In addition to the loan crap, I'm getting a little tired of people calling EVERY FREAKING DAY to ask how STK's feeling. She's 8.5 months pregnant, how do you think she feels? STK and I are not co-conspiring to keep you out of the loop. Much to our own consternation, there's nothing to report. Ditch the paranoia and relax. WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN SHE GOES INTO LABOR. WE WILL NOT LEAVE YOU OUT OF THIS SIGNIFICANT PIECE OF INFORMATION. Okay, we might delay calling you until we've been at the hospital for a while so we can have some peace and quiet. Sheesh. Some people.

Inhabiting the Kind of Annoying category is my upcoming graduation ceremony. You know how excited I am about attending? Zilch. Nada. Zero. Not in the least. I depise these ceremonies that mean little or nothing. I fulfilled the requirements for my degree and don't need a silly ritual filled with poor speeches and overblown pomp and circumstance as some kind of closure on my graduate career. Give me the freakin' diploma and let's call it a day. Unfortunately, several people in my family really want me to attend. They see it as some kind of special honor and recognition. Whatever. I'm secretly hoping The Little One decides to join us between now and Friday afternoon. What a great reason to ditch my own graduation!

Where did I put that ibuprofen?

*In other words, none of this stuff goes beyond annoying.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just been stricken by fear about loans too. I've put out a desperate call for help in understanding my options. But I imagine you're a little busy just now... I just can't face trying to understand the choices on my own, not while I'm also trying to get a mortgage.

Go to the ceremony. Get the hood. You can only do it once.

I mailed the other part of your shower gift today. :)

Sheila

Michael said...

Unfortunately, as I've learned in this semester's Business and Finance, there really is no such thing as 'fixed rate'. Everything changes, everything is negotiable. I blame you postmodernists for that fact. ;-)

Your Host said...

My favorite response when people would ask "How are you feeling?" when I was about to explode with baby?

"I'm pregnant. What do you think?"

Of course, my favorite response to "Do you want a boy or a girl?" was always "I'd really like a pony."

It's almost done, Derek. I hope you can find a little tranquility in the midst of the annoyance.

dilliwag said...

Sheila-

Just picked up my graduation apparel and will suffer through the ceremony ;) Once I figure out some of this student loan crap, I'll pass whatever info I can.

As for everything being negotiable, I can live with that. I just wish the powers that be would make it easier to understand the options. Sheesh. I do know that once you manage to get a consolidation loan, your interest rate is locked in for good . . . unless you choose to refinance. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Derek ;)

-Susan