Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Trendy Ass Poser

Our choice of new vehicle has apparently raised an eyebrow or two, particularly in regard to our alternativeness (or apparent lack thereof). I've heard at least three comments along the lines of, "I never thought I'd see the day you joined the yuppie crowd." Yeah, we probably could have looked into a used hearse but I hear those things are death waiting to happen on snow and ice. We're also pretty sure the dogs might get freaked out by the lingering scent of corpse. We also could have looked into an unreliable, but alternative looking, heap that won't start in temperatures below 40 degrees. I know a ton of alternafolk who deal with that situation throughout the year. They're late for work on a regular basis but boy do they look cool! So, yes, we decided to take the plunge and go for a reliable four wheel drive vehicle that might provide a little extra safety and room for ourselves, the soon-to-be little gothling, and the menagerie of pets. Besides, we think it looks cool. With Devil Ducky already sitting on the dash, the Element looks even cooler. Just wait until we slap a few punk and goth stickers on the sucker!

Imagine the looks we'll get when we drive into our new hometown. People will see the Uhaul and SUV and think to themselves, "Oh, the new professor and his family have arrived. How nice and normal they look!" Their pleasant midwest smiles will turn to looks of confusion, and mabye even dismay, as we crawl out of our vehicles with combat boots, piercings, tattoos, and goth/punk rock t-shirts displayed proudly. We'll make sure TLO is dressed in his black finest, too. All that said, STK and I realize that our subcultural identities are becoming a less salient aspect of who we are. Sure, we'll always consider ourselves different, apart from the mainstream, and members of the goth & punk scenes.* At the same time, our familial and professional identities are taking on a greater importance. Believe it or not, there is something of a method to our madness. By highlighting my identity as a professor, rather than that of subculturalist, I'm granted access to malleable minds. Similarly, STK's profession as an art teacher allows her to challenge young people to think in new ways.

As Stevo from SLC Punk would say:
"You can do a hell of a lot more damage in the system than u can outside of it. That's the final irony, I think. That and this...when all was said and done i was just another, goddamn, trendy ass POSER."

*To be honest, I don't even know if I belong to scene anymore. While I hang with goths, I really don't listen to a lot of goth music. Out of 64 CDs I have in my car, only two are really goth (Siouxsie and the Banshees & Autumn). The rest are an eclectic mix of female-fronted punk and indie rock, whatever the hell indie rock means these days. I guess riot grrrl punk is probably the most appropriate label I can apply to myself these days.

3 comments:

Michael said...

You realize, of course, that I was just kidding with the whole 'mainstream' crack on the last post.

It's too bad we'll live so far apart (at least the way things look now) if I should ever manage to marry and reproduce successfully. I think my kid(s) could learn a lot from you and STK.

dilliwag said...

Of course, Mike. We just thought it was rather funny that our new purchase invoked so many similar responses. We might be a little quirky and different, but we still enjoy nice toys.

Anonymous said...

Sound like contempt prior to investigation on the used hearse.
made me LOL today.
Thanks