Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Busted!

Just nabbed my first plagiarized paper of the semester. When will students learn that someone who has spent the last 12 years in higher education can recognize a student written paper that incorporates passages from an academic journal article? Seriously, it's like the writing equivalent of a speed bump. I'm reading student prose when WHAM! 12 dollar words abound. It's quite jarring, actually.

I take a preverse amount of pleasure from entering a "0" in the grade book.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I don't think that's perverse at all. I think anyone who's stupid enough to think that a professor can't tell a freshman student's writing from that of a professional deserves as low a grade as can be given.

Here at the U of U, that sort of thing can get a student an automatic failing grade for the course and/or expulsion from the University -- Go back home, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

dilliwag said...

I can pursue the same course of action, Mike. In order to do so, however, I have to deal with an inordinate amount of paperwork and it usually takes several months for the entire process to work. Obviously, I won't be around for several months.

Your Host said...

The UVSC Academic Honesty policy sounds like it's in line with the requirements at the U of U.

It was funny....I was on the phone with my sister when I read this yesterday, and she said something to the effect of being able to picture my "glee" at catching someone like that. I think part of it would be disappointment at the laziness. Maybe a little of it would be "glee".

But only a very small bit.

Michael said...

In one of the lab classes I had up here, we spent a couple of weeks in lecture discussing the peer review process and academic dishonesty. (I think the department is still stinging from the whole 'cold fusion' fiasco of a few years back.)

I've already decided that I'm going to have my students do at least some writing, even if it's just a short paper or lab write-up. And I've decided we're going to talk in some depth about the standards for academic accountability.