Monday, November 15, 2004

Impact

Every once in a great while, I get a reminder of why I'm a teacher. Generally, I love what I do. The pay could be better, I suppose, but I'm someone who doesn't need a whole lot of "stuff" to be happy. The real payoff is the students you meet.

I received an email from a former student while I was in Chicago. She filled me in on her life and asked if STK and I would be attending an upcoming show (this student and I share a love of "girly punk rock." She concluded her email with the following.

Anyway-- I just wanted to say hello as I thought of you and your wife when I saw that theSTART was coming. I really enjoyed having you as a teacher at CSU-- the things I learned in your classes truly impacted me in a way you will never know! I was actually inspired by you to one day go into teaching and to further my education. You teach the topics that you love and that is
admirable. Thanks for all your hard work and passion for knowledge (and
girly punk rock)! I hope to keep in touch =)


How many people receive messages like this while working for a major corporation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you,

1) we need to find out if you can get an RSS feed so we can syndicate you on LJ, so I can remember to check your posts.

2) we need to give you an LJ account just for reading friends entries, because you're missing 90% of the "good stuff" (aka me whining) in my journal anyway. ;) For that matter, I can set up an account for you and turn the reins over to you if you want. Let me know.

It was good to see you today. :)

S.

Anonymous said...

Hey wait... look what I did.

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=rhetorical_imp

This is just a feed of your journal entries, and can't be used for logging in and reading locked posts, but I've added it to my friends list so I'll see your entries when they publish. :)