My return from Chicago was generally uneventful. Overall, the convention experience was a success and worth the time spent away from home. The annual communication convention always provides the opportunity to catch up with old friends now scattered throughout the U.S., discuss the latest in communication scholarship, and develop a few work connections. Here's how the convention played out.
Thursday. Arrived in Chicago around 10:30 AM. Caught the "L" downtown and managed to arrive just in time to see Margie present some of her latest scholarship regarding "The Vagina Monologues." Margie and I had Greek salads at a local pub, then connected with Tess & Kristin. Minutes later, Monique arrived and we all grabbed a cup of java at a local coffee hourse. Although we didn't accomplish much in the way of academics, Thursday was a wonderful day of catching up with friends. Kristin, Tess, Mary, and I capped off the day with a delicious vegetarian meal at the Chicago Diner.
Friday. Friday was the day to make potential tenure track job connections. At 9 AM, I attended a panel in which the Search Committee Chair for a possible position participated and introduced myself. While the department in question won't start making decisions until later this month, I figure it can't hurt to put a face to my name. Around 11 AM I informally visited with the Associate Dean and faculty of one of the departments to which I applied.
Friday of the National Convention is the day when schools with potential openings set up a table at the Job Fair and chat with candidates. The Job Fair itself is a ridiculous affair at which ABD PhD candidates run around trying to impress people. Some candidates approach a table and launch into what is obviously a canned sales pitch, not unlike the polished presentation of an experienced salesperson. Personally, I find those individuals FAR too pushy and cheesey. While these aggressive individuals swoop in, make their pitch, and zoom out, I tend to take what I think is a more personal approach. I chit chat with the faculty about their department, their curriculum, and their city. I casually mention how my research and teaching abilities might contribute to their program. Rather than make the "this is why you should hire me" pitch, I try to make a personal impression. Let's face it, these schools already have a 100+ page application packet from me and they're semi familiar with my experience, research agenda, and teaching experience. The key, I think, is to show departments that you're a likeable colleague.
Back to the actual discussions. I think I made a favorable impression at the school where I focused most of my attention. The Associate Dean liked me so much that she made sure she introduced me to the chair of the department. Another of the faculty members made sure we exchanged email addresses. Regardless of whether I formally interview with her school, we're talking of collaborating on some work regarding science fiction/fantasy fandom and computer mediated communication. Like I said, make the personal impression and see what follows.
12 noon saw me sitting in a formal interview with a liberal arts college to which I applied. I made the initial cut and found myself one of eight remaining candidates for the position. Each of the eight candidates met with two of the faculty on the search committee. Based on those conversations, the faculty will invite three of the eight for formal campus visits. A formal campus visit consists of a day or two interview at which a candidate gives a research presentation, does some sample teaching, and talks one-on-one with most of the faculty. I walked away from the interview with a good feeling and won't be surprised if I make the cut to the final three.
Early Friday evening I reconnected with several of my colleagues and we party hopped for a couple hours. Many schools have receptions for former graduate students, current faculty, and others somehow associated with the programs. More than anything, these are an opportunity to catch up with friends and colleagues.
Saturday. Saturday was a fairly uneventful day. Had I not been invited to an evening reception for one of the schools to which I applied, I probably would have flown home. I spent most of the day walking around Chicago. The evening reception proved fruitful, however, and I spent a good 45 minutes talking to one of the members of the search committee. I also chatted with four or five other members of the faculty. Despite the repeated reminder by faculty members that his was an informal gathering and NOT to be considered a job interview, several other candidates did the "this is why you should hire me" speech. I hung back, let them bully their way through meeting the faculty, and moved in later for casual conversation.
I'm glad to be home. By the end of Saturday evening, I'd exhausted my supply of charm. Although I don't necessarily like the kinds of interactions necessary to get a formal interview, I'm fairly good at it. As Gene and Kathleen have both remarked on different ocassions, I have a way with people (or can at least give the impression that I'm good with people). The real test of my charm will come over the next couple weeks. If I don't receive an invite for an interview with any of the four schools on which I focused my attention, we'll know I'm not half as charming as I like to think I am.
Time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment