Monday, November 22, 2004

Blockheads

For the past two months, we've been going back and forth with the company that built our condo three years back. Over the summer we noticed our outside storage closet was leaking--water was seeping through the exterior brickwork and soaking the drywall of the closet. It's not a disaster, but we'd like it fixed. The builders have been great about trying to get the problem fixed at their own expense. A month ago, a bricklayer came out and did such a shoddy job that we couldn't even tell a repair had been done.

Two weeks ago I met with the building company construction manager and a mason and we talked about how to fix the problem permanently. We met at our condo so all three of us could see the problem. The mason immediately knew what needed to be done and we agreed the work would be finished sometime this week.

Today, while out walking the dogs, I noticed the bricklayers up on their scaffolding (we have a 3rd floor condo) working away . . . on the wrong condo. They had the right location of our condo but on the wrong freakin building. I politely mentioned that I thought they were working on the wrong condo. You should have seen the look on all three of their faces. I called the construction manager (we are now on a 1st name basis) and after his initial torrent of profanity, we both laughed pretty hard.

I'm guessing the problem won't get fixed today. Can you imagine having to contact the homeowner of the other condo? Yikes.

Update: the bricklayers are presently erecting a scaffold outside the condo. Maybe the repair will get finished today? You better believe I'll check on their work. I'm sure they're none too pleased with the tongue lashing they likely received from their boss. Angry employees usually results in shoddy work.

2 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

Like mechanics who can't fix a car, politicians who can't think, and salespeople who won't leave us alone (among others), these bricklayers sound like they could use a Boot to the Head.

(sound fx: )SH-ZOOMP!