Even in the case of individuals, there is no possibility to feel happiness through anger. If in a difficult situation one becomes disturbed internally, overwhelmed by mental discomfort, then external things will not help at all. However, if despite external difficulties or problems, internally one’s attitude is of love, warmth, and kindheartedness, then problems can be faced and accepted.
— His Holiness the Dalai Lama
This is a tough one for me. Although I'm light years beyond where I once was, I still experience a great deal of anger. I get angry at the fact that war is still considered a viable conflict resolution technique. I get angry when I see and hear people deny significant social injustices. I get angry when someone cuts me off in traffic. And what is the end result of that anger? Nothing. I used to think that anger could be harnessed, focused, and directed toward positive ends. The older I get and the more I think about it, however, I find I believe that less and less.
A wise friend of mine once suggested that the only way to ever move beyond anger was to recognize the emotion and then let if flow right through you. This is similar to a technique taught in conjuction with some styles of meditation. Every time you have a thought during meditation, you acknowledge the thought (comment mentally: Thinking")and let it evaporate. When I'm particularly distracted during meditation, I visualize my thoughts disappearing like whisps of smoke. The same things can be done with anger, supposedly. So, the next time I get angry I'm going to acknowledge my mental state ("I'm angry") and let the emotion drift away into the ether. This should lead my thinking closer to the internal attitude described by the Dalai Lama.
No comments:
Post a Comment