Vomit on the Highway
Colorado is being hit by an early outbreak of the flu. Guess who managed to catch it? You guessed it. I started feeling crappy earlier in the week but figured it was a slight cold or something. After all, I haven't been REALLY sick in the better part of a decade. I'm one of those people who simply doesn't get sick. Well, we can change that to usually doesn't get sick. After struggling through three classes yesterday afternoon I retired to my office. I tried to lay down and take a quick power nap (a regular occurence). That's when I realized I wasn't dealing with a cold. Shivering violently, I struggled to the department office for a 2:30. Raena took one look at me and said, "You need to go home." She agreed to go to my late afternoon class and handle some administrative details and let my students know what was up. Bless her.
Let me say that the hour and fifteen minute drive home was perhaps the most miserable moment of my life. Okay, that's probably an exaggeration but not by much. I had to make a pit stop every 20 minutes or so (I won't go into the gruesome details), but managed to make my way toward home. About 20 minutes from home, I knew I wasn't going to make it. I quickly made my way to the left shoulder of I-25 (the major N/S thoroughfare in all of Colorado), turned off the car, threw open the passenger door, and vomited profusely. As I haven't hurled in almost 10 years, I'd forgotten how disgusting the experience can be. With nothing left in my stomach, I finally managed to curtail the violent spasms and raced the rest of the way home.
Since arriving home at 4 PM yesterday, I've been in bed. Although the vomiting has stopped, my body aches and I'm being slammed with a continuous headache. Back to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment