Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Outlandish!

This morning, during Communication and Popular Culture, one of my students made an absurd statement. The conversation went something like this.

Me: What are some other live-action children's TV shows?

Student #1: How about Mr. Rogers?

Me: Excellent example. My sister and I loved that show. Except for the episode where they visited the hot dog factory. How disgusting was that vat-o-meat that looked like pink toothpaste? Ugh. Anyway, I think I can still name most of the characters from the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

Student #2: Did you know Fred Rogers used to be a Navy Seal?

Me: **almost stunned speechless** What?

Student #2: Yeah. I heard he killed something like 29 people.

Me: Fred Rogers? Where did you hear this? Fred Rogers was minister!

Student #2: I know. But before he was a minister he was a Navy Seal. That's why he always wore a long-sleeve shirt and sweater. He was hiding his tattoos.

Me: I think someone's been feeding you a load of bullshit.

Student #2: I'm serious!

Me: Okay. I'll look into it. If this is true, which I seriously doubt, my entire childhood will have lost all meaning. Mr. Rogers can't be a Navy Seal. He just can't.

Fred Rogers a Navy Seal? Are you freakin' kidding me? Where do students come up with this kind of stuff? As Mr. Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High would say, "What are you, people? On dope?!" A quick search on Snopes.com suggests Fred Rogers never hurt a fly. I find the fact that there's an actual urban legends entry on "Fred Rogers and his alleged violent past" very disturbing.

No comments: