Yesterday, while TLO and I were taking our morning nap, I had a weird dream. The fact that I even remembered a dream is weird enough--I rarely remember my dreams--but the content made absolutely no sense.
The dream took place in our present abode. As TLO and I walked up the stairs to the second floor, Gene leaned over the rail and said, "hello." He was holding a cheap bakery cake (chocolate, white frosting, chocolate sprinkles sitting on a black plastic plate and covered with a clear plastic shield) in one hand and a black stealth cell phone in the other. The cell phone looked like it was made out of the material from a stealth fighter, complete with all the non-right angles.
And that was the dream. I'm still scratching my head over that one.
5 comments:
Why does everything have to be a metaphor? Some day I will show up with a cake and you'll say, "oh, so I should have just taken it all literally."
If I start thinking like that, I'll be out of a job.
I'd think you'd be one of the few people who could think like that and not be out of a job.
It's all about the interpretation of a text, Mikey. There's the literal message, of course, but then there's the message. I'm far more interested in the latter than the former.
I was at a poetry reading recently, where one of my friends was reading. After the reading, he came up and thanked me for advising him to concentrate less on metaphor and more on the literal components of his work.
I have no memory of ever giving this advice, or even thinking it. But he was absolutely sure that I told him that, said it was a huge revelation in his work. Something to think about as an educator, I suppose.
Post a Comment