Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fragments

I'm scattered every which way for the next few days. This post reflects that state of mind.

Another semester should be in the books by no later than Friday. Two sections of final exams graded--one left tomorrow AM. For any number of reasons this has been a semester to put behind me. Starting in the fall, I focus all my attention on teaching classes in my area of specialization.

A colleague defined me as little more than a novelty yesterday afternoon. I'm the new guy on campus, according to this particular prof, and my current popular status will soon wane. In five years, when my classes are still drawing students at the same rate, I plan on serving a big ol' platter of crow.

I unleashed the rhetorical black boot on a neighbor two days ago. While walking the dog, our neighbor's yellow lab came flying out the garage, down the driveway, into the street, went straight for Dargo*, and landed a couple substantial bites. I immediately went at the lab and managed to back him down. By that time, the neighbor ran out of the house and grabbed the dog. My response: "Jesus Christ! Get your dog on a goddamn leash. Fucking A!" Neighbor: "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry."

*Dargo is chocolate lab/Chesapeake retriever mix that we adopted in February. I haven't blogged about him because, quite frankly, we didn't know whether he would remain a member of our household. He was easy enough to house train, but he's a real pistol when it comes to confinement. We tried crate training and he ripped the metal door right off the crate. We finally figured out how to barricade him in the kitchen without too much trouble. If we leave anything within his reach--a newspaper, a paper bag, a plastic water jug--it's destroyed when we return home. When we're at home, not a problem. Go figure. Anyway, we've decided we'll work out any remaining problems over time. He's great with G and that's the most important thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the same colleague we talked about on the phone a couple of weeks ago? If so, I hope you've got your plate of crow handy, because I think he'll need a double serving.

Lord Mhoram said...

I'm not much of a dog person, but I must approve of the name of the dog.

Maybe he will settle down when you find his Qualta Blade. :)

Michael said...

Good to hear you've got another dog. And I approve of the name as well. I hope he'll be as good for you as Bishop was.

We've already decided than when we finally get a dog one day, we're going to name him Gromit.