Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Case of the Suspicious File

Team teaching presents some interesting challenges. For instance, a student who is notorious for missing deadlines claims a missing paper was submitted to my colleague. Said college says the paper was never submitted. Good guy that I am, I approach the student in class and ask that another copy of the paper be sent to me via email attachment. Immediately. A day goes by and still no paper. I email said student with a friendly reminder. Nothing.* Four days after the final exam, nine days from the original request, I receive an email attachment of the paper. Typically, I'd just enter a zero in the grade book for a late paper. But, seeing that I'm team teaching and I don't know whether said colleague really received paper (and proceeded to misplace it--something that has happened with some regularity this semester) or not, I'm in something of a quandry. The stuff with my colleague aside, something doesn't feel right about the paper; I don my sleuth hat and get to work.

A quick check of the paper's electronic "Properties" reveals potential evidence of chicanery. According to the "Properties" of the file, the paper was created yesterday and edit time was roughly two hours. The elapsed editing time from moment of creation to moment of last modification and emailing to me matches up perfectly. I suspect this paper was written the day it was emailed to me.

Do I enter the zero, accept the paper as late and dock it points, or simply accept the paper as legit and grade accordingly? I'm almost positive this thing was written yesterday, but I suppose I could be wrong. If the student wrote the paper in another format and converted the file all the "Properties" data would change. Still, the edit time would apply to the newly created/converted file, right?

With the exception of this remaining file, all my grading is complete. I'm waiting to here from another colleague with whom I team taught--not the one from the above narrative--to make sure we're in agreement on final grades. I'm essentially finished one day ahead of schedule. w00t!

*This is atypical behavior for me. I believe students are adults and should be treated as such. Don't heed my call for another copy? Fine. Natural consequences = zero.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I believe students are adults and should be treated as such. Don't heed my call for another copy? Fine. Natural consequences = zero.

This is what I'd be most inclined to do on first glance--and it's certainly what Ms. Schulz would have done to us, back in the day.

On the other hand, the kid (for lack of a better descriptor) did ultimately take the time to write and submit the thing, so I'm thinking the 'grade as late' option would be what what I'd ultimately decide. But if the result put the student at a cutoff between B- and C+, I'd say the kid gets the C+, no discussion.

dilliwag said...

If I do anything with the paper, it will change his grade from a minus to a straight letter. We're not talking that big a difference. Considering the circumstances, I'll probably grade it--at a penalty--and be done with it.