Saturday, May 12, 2007

Tiger, You Just Hit the Jackpot . . .

And then some.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I absolutely love comic books but this kind of blatant sexism drives me up a frelling wall. Seriously. Shall we count the problems with this maquette?

1. Objectification. MJ has always been sexually objectified but this takes the cake. Check out those low ride jeans! If they were any lower on MJ's hips we'd have intimate knowledge of her shaving habits. Do I even need to make a comment about the thong? She has enough cleavage to set off Peter's spider-sense. Those things would be a real danger when Peter and MJ . . . Do I need to spell it out?

2. Trivialization. Good to know that a strong character like MJ knows her place: in the laundry room. Way to wash out those Spider-tights. Did you catch the June Cleaver pearls around her neck. Torn hip huggers and pearls? Who comes up with this crap?

3. Dehumanization. That pose suggests doing something and it ain't laundry. For all you minors out there, that's what we call a porno pose. Is MJ starring in adult films, now? There's nothing human about MJ--she's a sex toy.

I could go on and on and on but others have been doing so for days. Suffice it to say that when I see something like this, I give some real thought to whether or not this is an industry I wish to support with my money.

6 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

Seconded on all points.

"I give some real thought to whether or not this is an industry I wish to support with my money"
Civil War did that for me - at least that company.

Michael said...

Thirded (?) on all points.

I haven't supported the industry with any of my money for a long time...I was convinced they were putting out nothing but carp fifteen years ago.

Anonymous said...

And yet its perfectly ok to support companies who produce comic books with much scantily clad female figures and much more provocative poses?

Oh I guess at least you're still 'doing some reading' instead of just oogling...

dilliwag said...

Thanks for the comment, anonymous poster. I'd encourage you to get to know a little more about me before passing judgment on my popular culture consumption.

Anonymous said...

I don;t need to know you. I don't care to know you.

Anyone who wrote what you wrote about a statuette of a fictional character based on the artwork of AH (someone known for his provocative illustrations) need serious help.

GO complain about Penan children and women being raped on a daily basis by logging company employees instead.

dilliwag said...

"I don;t need to know you. I don't care to know you."

Yet you feel the need to comment on one of my blog posts? Can I get an irony ruling here?