Monday, July 24, 2006

On the Run

Today was one of those mundane, yet very gratifying, days. While it doesn't feel like I accomplished much, I did. The day started with a 6 AM wake up call *cringe*; T and I met at 7 AM to run a practice 15k in advance of Saturday's real deal race. The run, which takes participants through our small midwest town, over the river and through the woods (literally), across several spring fed brooks, and up and down the local limestone bluffs, is absolutely beautiful. It's a nice combination of road running and trail running. The run went well and I know I'll have no problem finishing the race in a reasonable amount of time. I'm shooting for 90 minutes but really shouldn't have too many difficulties finishing closer to 80. Results will be posted!

Returning home around 9 AM to a quiet house--STK and TLO had already been up, eaten breakfast, and retired for the morning nap--I showered, ate a bagel, sipped some coffee, and caught up on world events (a more depressing exercise than usual these days). Feeling the fatigue of the run, I crawled back into bed around 10:30 and promptely fell asleep until 1:45 PM.*

After a quick lunch of yogurt, fruit, and Cocoa Roos, I set about completing several household tasks.

*Boxes/lids tied together and stored in garage rafters.
*Boxes delivered to T; cardboard recycling deposited.
*Boxes carried to basement.
*Garage re-arranged. Both cars now fit. w00t!
*Office television wired through stereo amplifier.
*Dog bathed and brushed.**
*Bathtub scrubbed.
*Litter boxes emptied.
*All garbage collected, bagged, and taken to curb.
*Lecture notes/discussion questions crafted.

At around 8 PM, STK and I finally put a halt to our activities (she'd been dusting, vacuuming, and generally cleaning while I was out in the garage--how gendered of us, eh?) and sat down to eat dinner and watch The 4400 and The Dead Zone.

The house is quiet again--STK and TLO are sound asleep. Time for me to join them.

*Very unusual for me. I'm not the long napping type. I've gotten better at it since TLO arrived on the scene.

**Did he ever need it. I scrubbed and brushed clump, after clump, after clump of hair from his itchy body. This is a lab, mind you, so there really isn't a ton of hair to begin with.

2 comments:

Michael said...

*Garage re-arranged. Both cars now fit. w00t!

You actually keep your CARS in your garage? What a concept! Most people just keep their useless junk in it (and park their $20,000 cars outside).

dilliwag said...

Isn't that the truth! We decided to try something new and be a little different. Imagine that.