Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Walls Have Ears

More will be revealed:

Watching. Always Watching.

This smacks of the various Sedition Acts the government has instituted from time to time. Are those acts still in force? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Regardless, I find it very disturbing that the government is cataloging phone numbers used by the press.

Perhaps it's time to revisit Robert M. La Follette's Free Speech in Wartime. It's an abridged version, but the only one I could locate quickly. I find the following passage poignant.

Rather, in time of war, the citizen must be more alert to the preservation of his right to control his Government. He must be most watchful of the encroachment of the military upon the civil power. He must beware of those precedents in support of arbitrary action by administration officials which, excused on the pleas of necessity in war time, become the fixed rule when the necessity has passed and normal conditions have been restored.

I suspect this phone number stuff is the tip of the iceberg. Is it time to start worrying about our rights?

2 comments:

Michael said...

Okay, now I'm even starting to believe the conspiracy theorists.

Of course, I'm not entirely convinced that ABC News would be above stretching the truth a little for the sake of a good story, either.

dilliwag said...

I don't doubt that either, Mikey.