Wednesday, March 09, 2005

No More Training Do You Require

Despite a grueling two hour defense during which two committee members gave me a good, old-fashioned academic drubbing, I passed my oral exams with "No Revisions." What that means is that my dissertation is accepted, as written, and will be submitted to Graduate Studies sometime next week. I'll spend a day next week reading through the thing one more time for typos, punctuation errors, and the like. After a very long journey, I'm finally a doctor.

While I'm thrilled the process is finally finished (or is that PhinisheD?), the defense experience reminded me that I'm not as smart as I like to think. There will always be someone smarter than me, someone from whom I can learn. Looking back, that may be the most important lesson of the graduate experience: the learning always continues.

4 comments:

Your Host said...

I tried and tried to comment earlier....darned Blogger.

Congratulations, Dr. Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! Way to go Derek! Now you can work on having the bad handwriting, if you haven't done so already :D

(Yeah bad joke, but Im always compelled tomake them :P)

<3 Susan

dilliwag said...

Thanks for the congrats, all. Susan, I already have the terrible handwriting under control.

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeeeeet....so was bad handwriting like a requisite for undergraduate degree, or were you naturally gifted?

And how much closer are you to being the one true Dark Lord of the Sith?

<3 Susan