Despite sleeping in later than usual (9:15, I think), I still accomplished a great deal today. The highlights follow!
Graded papers. Classes resume on Tuesday and I still have a stack of Self-Concept papers to grade. I made it through six or seven this morning. While all of them had various weaknesses, they also had significant strengths and proved an enjoyable read. 25 papers to finish by Monday evening. No sweat.
Surfed Ebay. I'm bound and determined to track down several of the plush Godzilla toys. Specifically, I'm looking for a Godzilla, Gigan, Hedorah, and King Ghidorah. I'm watching several auctions and should be able to find a decent deal for the first three. King Ghidorah, on the other hand, appears to be a rather rare toy and commands a higher price. Still, if I could find one for around the $30 mark I'd probably bite. Is $30 too much to pay for something that will probably wind up drenched in infant slobber?
Anti-War Rally. As this is the 2nd anniversary of the Iraq invasion, rallies were held around the U.S. Being the peacenik that I am, I thought it only proper that I lend my voice to those opposing the war and the current administration. All the local television stations were in attendance. If each station ran a segment about the protest, the anti-war message was heard by tens of thousands of people across the state. Not a bad day's work. In honor of the protest, I broke out my new "Blue State University: We Put the Liberal in Liberal Arts" t-shirt (thanks, Mike!).
Workout. I managed to squeeze in a 1.5 hour workout. I stretched for 30 minutes, lifted weights for 30 minutes, and did cardio for 30 minutes. Tomorrow, I think I'll go for a 4 mile run and call it a day. My body needs a little rest.
Dinner with STK's Folks. STK's parents have been out of town and wanted to take me out to dinner for a belated birthday/Ph.D. dinner. Who was I to say no? We had a great meal at The Jerusalem, one of my favorite eateries, and ended the night at a wonderful little cafe for coffee and pastries. The cafe is one of a handful that serves locally roasted DazBog coffee, one of my favorites. Dazbog is one of three brands I keep in my private coffee reserve (the other brands are Peaberry and Kaladi Bros). I should also mention the In-laws scored bonus points by presenting me with a birthday gift of Aveda Clove shampoo and conditioner.
Battlestar Galactica. As STK and I were at the Nuggets vs Clippers game during Science Fiction Friday, we sat down and watched the latest episode of BG late tonight. Let me rephrase that: I sat down to watch BG and STK fell asleep on the couch. This show never ceases to amaze me. One week the show focuses on a military strike, the next week centers on personal relationships, and the next week foregrounds political elections. Wildly disparate in focus, all three episodes are absolutely riveting. That just goes to show that good writers can make ANY topic engaging. There's no question in my mind that BG is presently the best programming on the air.
***GEEK ALERT***
On Saturday, March 26, the Science Fiction Channel airs Alien Apocalypse, an original movie starring none other than Bruce Campbell! Now that's must see TV. I saw a preview tonight and it looks like classic Cambell. Here's the Sci-Fi blurb:
Dr. Ivan Hood (Bruce Campbell) and his team of astronauts return from their latest mission, only to find that Earth has been conquered and enslaved by aliens. Now Hood and fellow-scientist Kelly (Renée O'Connor, Gabrielle on Xena: Warrior Princess) must free humanity from its alien masters.
No comments:
Post a Comment