Star Wars: Elite Forces!
I'm not sure what possessed me to do this, but I looked up an old Star Wars chat-based game I started back in 1996. Would you believe there are still a handful of folks playing?
SWEF
The game has morphed considerably over the years, but you can still see traces of my influence throughout. If I put together a game today, something I've often considered, I'd do it very differently. The Jedi-oriented, Clone Wars campaign would be much more free form (no "positions" and minimal leadership) and would require players to take an active role in the creation of storylines (maybe even a rotating GM type thing). Rather than creating "positions," I'd have players write up detailed character profiles and leave it at that. Any "specializations" (skilled with Jedi Mind Trick, attuned to the living Force, skilled with healing, etc.) would simply be written into the character profile. Having spent several years playing on-line RPGs, this type of game would be oriented toward the more mature members of the gaming audience. Mature in that the players would be interested in rich-storytelling and fun instead of climbing up the "ranks."
There are days when I miss being involved in the on-line gaming community. Correction: about twice a year I miss being involved in the on-line gaming community.
No comments:
Post a Comment