Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Blur

Since 3rd grade, I haven't gone a single day without wearing glasses or contacts. Unlike many of my corrective lens wearing friends, I cannot function without some kind of visual assistance. How bad is my uncorrected vision? Pretty bad. In fact, I can't see the humongous "E" on the vision chart. When the opthamologist dims the lights and puts the illuminated chart on the screen, all I see is a bright blob. If I'm having a good day, I might be able to make out some kind of dark smudge (that would be the "E"). Fortunately, my eyes have always responded well to both contacts and glasses. Until recently.

Sometime last week, during my regular late night routine, I took out my contacts, put on my glasses, and noticed that the vision in my left eye was blurry. I took off my glasses, gave them a good cleaning, and put them back on my head. My vision was still blurry. It didn't take long to figure out I could still see fine with my right eye. I went through this same routine several days in a row.

Since last week, I've noticed a pattern. My vision is perfect early in the morning and gets progressively worse throughout the day. By the time I put on my glasses, I might as well not be wearing any kind of correction in my left eye. I have an appointment with my opthamologist of 23 years later this afternoon. I'm hoping this is nothing more than a form of eye strain, rather than something structural.

No comments: