Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Same-Sex Marriage: Give It the Test

A couple months ago, I suggested a way to determine whether or not a particular practice could be considered discriminatory. Time to the apply the test. Let's start with the facts. Of the 50 U.S. states, 38 prohibit same-sex marriage. Apply the test:

Of the 50 U.S. states, 38 prohibit [interracial] marriage.

Remember, it wasn't all that long ago that people thought interracial marriage was the end of world. Sadly, many people still feel that way. Imagine what people would thing if President Bush made comments like the following about interracial marriage:

"I have watched carefully what's happening in San Francisco, where licenses were being issued, even though the law states otherwise," Bush said. "I have consistently stated that I'll support law to protect marriage between a man and a woman. Obviously these events are influencing my decision."

Applying the test: I have consistently stated that I'll support law to protect marriage between a [white] man and a [white] woman.

Now does that sound silly or what? Am I the only person who sees this? Additionally, why does Bush think marriage between a man and woman needs protecting? Protected from what?! I challenge anyone to show me how same-sex marriage poses ANY threat to a single marriage between a man and woman.

No comments: