Saturday, September 27, 2003

The Caucasian Club

Lisa Mclelland, a misguided and misinformed fifteen-year-old, wants to start a Caucasian Club at her high school. Since the school has a Black Student Union, an Asian Club, Hispanic Club, and Latinos Unidos, Lisa feels her people should be represented equally. Lisa, you're a default member of the White Club every single day of your life. Look around your community, peruse a few media sources (television, film, magazines--it doesn't matter which), and scope out the people who lead your city, county, state, and country. Unless I miss my guess, I suspect you'll see people like you no matter where you turn.

I should mention three other things, Lisa. First, the term "caucasian" is no longer an appropriate term when classifying people by race. The appropriate term is "white". The U.S. American scientific community incorporated this change years ago. Second, if you're going to grant media interviews, you might want to pay attention in English class. The proper grammer is "My mom and I talked about it . . . ", not "my mom and Me . . . " Finally, I thought I'd offer some curriculum suggestions for the Caucasian Club. Here you go:

Appropriating Culture: How White Men Hijacked Rock & Roll, Hip Hop, Jazz, and Almost Every Other Kind of Music.
Practical Genocide: Annihilating Indigenous Populations
White History Month: Too Much White History is Never Enough
"I'm trying to break racial barriers": How to be a Racist and Not Sound Like One.
Women and the Workplace: What the Hell were They Thinking?*

That should help get the club off the ground, Lisa. Let me know if you need a guest speaker.

*Subtitled: Get Back In that Kitchen!

No comments: