Friday, July 20, 2007

Fallacies!

For the better part of the afternoon I've been surfing the web, trolling library databases, and thumbing through books, all in an attempt to pull together a rhetorical theory course that meets my approval. The major problem, as I've blogged before, is the lack of a good textbook. So, I essentially make my own textbook using all the resources at my disposal. The process is incredibly time consuming, not to mention boring, but I don't know any other way to pull together the class I want to teach. Several colleagues suggested I write a textbook of my own. Great idea . . . if I had three years to spare. Someday? Maybe.

Despite the nature of the task, I manage to run across some engaging stuff (for a rhetoric geek, I suppose). I found, for example, a digital copy of Plato's Gorgias. I also stumbled across the following site--anyone who engages in public debate, of any kind, should bookmark this handy resource.

Fallacies.

This is an excellent page listing most of the major fallacies a person is likely to encounter. The format of the site is handy, too. Read it. Memorize it. Use it.

2 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

Nice one - I always liked the one at:
http://www.geekpress.com/2006/09/excellent-list-of-logical-fallaciesad.html

Lord Mhoram said...

Take Two
http://www.geekpress.com/2006/09/
excellent-list-of-logical-fallaciesad.html