The latest movie just debuted, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows hits bookstores in roughly 72 hours, and spoilers have already hit the web. There's only one thing to do: offer our own fearless predictions. I'm inviting everyone to play along. There are only two rules.
1. Make a prediction regarding Harry's ultimate fate.
2. Offer up to three additional predictions for supporting characters, unresolved plot lines, etc.
If you offer your predictions on your own blog, please make note of the prediction in the comments and I'll post a direct link. If you don't have a blog, or don't want to clutter your own cyberspace with Harry Potter predictions, offer your thoughts in the comments and I'll copy/paste to my blog.
For the record, I'm a Harry Potter fan but not a raving lunatic who has read every book a dozen times. I'm read each book once and I'm not about to go back and look at a single thing when making my predictions. Harry Potter is fun for me, not an obsession. Here goes.
The Fate of Harry Potter. It seems crystal clear to me that Harry is actually a horcrux. At the very least, the infamous scar is a horcrux. Voldemort intended to use Harry's murder to create a final horcrux, the spell was disrupted, and V rushed the spell to completion using the materials at hand: Harry Potter. This isn't a very original; I've seen tons of people make a similar observation. Here's my twist: Voldemort's spell had an unintended effect. While Harry is a horcrux of Voldemort, Voldemort is a horcrux of Harry. In the final book, Voldemort will ultimately destroy Harry (with the intention of fixing the spell gone bad and creating a new horcrux via his murder). As Voldemort is a horcrux of Harry, Harry can't be destroyed. Harry's essence springs forth from Voldemort, vanquishing the Dark Lord in the process. Voldemort's desire for immortality turns out to be his downfall.
Fred or George Weasley Must Die. One, but not both, will meet his doom in the final book. The death will be an act of selflessness, an act of sacrifice to protect others. This is what it means to be a Weasley (except for that weasel Percy--what's up with that guy?)
Redeeming Severus Snape. Snape hasn't returned to the Dark Side and he hasn't been a double agent since Voldemort's disappearance. Snape has remained in faithful service to Dumbledore and, in fact, will play a crucial role in defeating the minions of Voldemort. Operating from the inside, Snape will be the crucial piece of grit in the gears. At the end of the book, Snape will be appointed the permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Until a few days ago, I predicted Snape as the the Headmaster of Hogwarts. Dr. OneDink and STK convinced me to moderate my position.
Mad Eye Mayhem. A soldier to the very end, Moody won't be around to enjoy the conclusion of the story. He goes down with his eye spinning and his wand blazing.
8 comments:
Okay - and some are similiar to yours.
Harry's scar is a horcrux. The fabled last word of the book being scar will be something like "And Harry looked into a mirror and saw no scar"
Snape is in fact a deep cover agent, and will have a rather unpleasent death, saving the cause, but the same actions will save Harry, making Harry feel even worse about him and Snape (as after getting Snapes memory of his father).
One of the twins, and at lest 1 other of the Weasly clan will kick off. It would be pure continuing symbolism if it is dear old Dad, and Harry marries Ginny. Harry has beeen thrice orphaned, and loves the Weaslys - if Mr Weasly dies before Harry joins the family it would be sad, put fitting.
One of the major supporting cast (other than the inner circle) kicks it - I'm going for Hagrid or MgGonnigle. It could also be Ginny - depends on how depressing JKR wants to make it - but one of the closest people to Harry goes. Although Lupin just doesn't feel right for this.
I added my predictions over at my blog. Enjoy.
Alas, I probably won't read the book for at least a month.
I hope the last Harry Potter doesn't degenerate into a shoot-em-up at the end with the "good" guys triumphant and the "bad" guys dead. We'll see if JKR really is another JRRT. I hope the "good" people realize that being "good" means they don't go around killing people - even "bad" ones. Otherwise, what, really, is the difference between the two groups?
Aside from that aside, here are my predictions.
Easy - Arthur Weasley will be the new Minister of Magic. Honest, hardworking, many years of service to the magical community.
Harder - Draco saves Harry or some other major character. Surely we are not destined to repeat the mistakes of our parents. Furthermore, he doesn't die either, but survives and tries to heal the rift between the pure and mud bloods.
Hardest - Snape. I have no idea. Damn that JKR is good!
Seeing as how I've punted on Snape, I'll have to make another prediction. Harry dies in the end. In fact, he never really lived. Harry Potter, the baby, was killed by Voldemort. Voldemort "inadvertently" created a horcrux out of Harry. The spirt of Harry is actually the good nature of Voldemort himself. That is why "neither can live while the other survives." They are the same person and they need to be made whole again. Dumbledore, of course, knew this the whole time. He sincerely cared for young Tom Riddle and wanted to help him. He also cared for older Tom Riddle AKA Voldemort, even after all the trouble.
Harry sits at a Dinner. Screen goes black, most think that the cable has "gone Out"
Interesting, Hick. A few months ago, I suggested to STK that Voldemort and Harry were the same person/entity. One made good choices and became Harry, the other made bad choices and became Voldemort. Rowling said on her website, though, that Harry and Voldemort will not merge into one person. I actually think this is has the most merit, but Rowling herself says she's going in a different direction. That's why I went with the one lives and one dies. There can be only one, Highlander.
Nice touch with Arthur. I hope that plays out.
LOL Bob.
"Otherwise, what, really, is the difference between the two groups?"
Intent.
There is a whole heck of a lot of difference between an attacker killing and threatening people, and those that have to stop/kill the attackers in self defense.
One might as well ask what the difference between the Nazi's and the English in WW2.
Lord Mhoram,
To quote Lady Galadriel, "Yes, but it would not stop at that."
y'all are good. I didn't read ANY spoilers, but stuff kept happening and I'd go "hey, I read that in D's blog predictions!"
Sheesh, got any lottery numbers in mind?
Post a Comment