If you haven't had your head in the sand (that's where it would have to be in order to avoid hearing about this), you know that a 16-year-old young adult was arrested for murdering Pamela Vitale. Now, I'll admit to knowing nothing about the actual murder. I usually don't pay attention to these murder cases that garner national attention. They're typically over-reported, under researched, and overexaggerated to the Nth degree. What caught my eye this morning, however, is the allegation that the
arrested youth is a Satanist.
Suspect Into Satan
When the "Satan" link hit the news a couple days back, you could predict what would come next. Some "expert" on the occult, cults, and all things dark, dank, and scary, would sound the alarm regarding a network of Satanic cults threatening our children. Guess what I found in the news this morning?
Satanic Crime and Murder
Several years ago, one of STK's family members lost a pet to a supposed gang of Satanic youth who listened to death metal. This horrifying gang reportedly terrorized several suburbs of the Denver Metro area trapping local pets, mutilating their bodies, and leaving them to die in their respective yards. When I first heard the story I thought it sounded a little fishy. If the authorities had information on a group of Satanic youth who sacrificed pets--they even told STK's relative what kind of music the Satanists listened to--why couldn't they catch them? I mean, how difficult would it be to watch these kids, discern their activities, and cuff 'em? Several months after the Satanic Cult Infiltrates Denver Suburbs hubbub, and dozens of pet sacrifices later, one of the police units decided to call in an expert: a wildlife biologist. Lo and behold, the biologist reported that the wounds on the pets were similar to wounds produced by various predators, namely coyotes, foxes, and owls. Oddly enough, coyotes, foxes, and owls all call the Denver Metro area suburbs home.
Okay, so this most recent murder obviously isn't the work of natural predators. That's well established. My objection is to the sensationalist "Satanic Networks are Invading our Country" crap. There are a handful of supposed Occult/Satanism/Satanic Cult specialists who always surface after these incidents. These folks have been making the rounds on Geraldo, 20/20, and even Oprah since the mid 1980s. Their message is always the same: your kids are in trouble. If they wear dark clothes, play D&D, or listen to alternative music, they're being seduced by a Satanic Cult.
Let me put this as plainly and as bluntly as I can: THERE ARE NO SATANIC CULTS SEDUCING OUR CHILDREN. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. Despite all the sensational headlines, not a single documented case of Satanic Cults exist. Not a single "Ritual Abuse" case has been prosecuted in the U.S. Every time this crap surfaces, it turns out that the perpetrator of the heinous crime was working alone or with a handful of people. I have no doubt there are some twisted folks out there who think they're doing the work of Satan (don't even get me started on that belief). It takes
all kinds, you know? What I can't stand, however, are these folks who make a living crying wolf. Or Satan, as the case may be.
If you want to take a look at some excellent research regarding the non-existent Satanic cults in the U.S., take a glance at the following books.
Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend
Raising the Devil
Satanic cults in the U.S. Sheesh. The next thing you know, the media will be portraying this disturbed youth as a goth or something.
2 comments:
I have a T-shirt that reads, "Lucifer's Grill - 100% Open Flame BBQ - Open 24 Hours, 365 Days" with appropriate stylized graphics. Everyone I know thinks it's hilarious.
Do I think there is an archetypical Power that opposes that which is good? Yes, I do. Do I believe that power is personally whispering into 16-year-old ears to induce them to do terrible things? Not so much.
LOL! Great shirt. I have no idea if there's an evil power out there or not. I guess I don't worry too much about it. What gets me is all this urban panic crap that ramps up after an incident like this. Everyone wants an answer, someone or something to blame. Sometimes, bad stuff happens and there's not a reason.
Post a Comment