Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Potpourri

The 'rents were in town for the extended weekend.* I wish I could say it was a wonderful visit, but it wasn't. My father and I crossed sabers for the one billionth time. Dear old Dad reminded me, as he has from childhood, that I'll never measure up to his standard of success. I reminded him, as I have since my late teens, that I have no desire to follow in his footsteps if it means I'll be a miserable person, like he is, at 63. My mom cried a lot and STK showed a considerable amount of restraint in not entering the fray. Oh, and my dad let us know that the 60+ percent of us who think the President is doing a poor job are dead wrong. The President is doing a wonderful job and if we'd all just step into line, we'd finally be able to stop the flow of terrorists streaming out of Iraq. Yes, his primary source of information is Fox News. ::pounds head on desk:: It's hard to believe we share genetic material. Suffice it to say that the visit reinforced my belief that my father and I have nothing in common and are best served by maintaining a good deal of distance.

On a more positive note, I'm obsessed with the "Destroy Everything You Touch" video by Ladytron. Love the imagery, love the music, and find myself falling in love with the band. Which is odd, really. I usually don't go for the darkwave/electronica stuff. Anyway, it's already on the payday wish list. As is Depeche Modes' Playing the Angel. Their first video off the album, Precious, is also damn cool. More darkwave/electronica? We all have our guilty pleasures, I suppose.

As we're at midterm, school is kind of crazy. Mind you, the present level of crazy is nothing compared to the days of 230 students. I have a handful of papers and a half dozen speeches to grade by Friday. Three exams over the next couple days translates to 55 tests to grade by the end of next week. In addition to grading, I've been approached by a couple folks about doing some collaborative work. One person wants me to team teach a senior seminar and another wants to talk about writing a journal article. While I'm flattered, I'm not sure how I feel about working with someone. I've always done my own thing when it comes to classes and writing. That said, I'll probably agree to the former and not the latter. Being seen as a team player in the workplace probably isn't such a bad thing. We'll see about the writing gig. I'm such a perfectionist that it's possible I'd drive my potential collaborator crazy.

SMC had Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off for Fall Break.

No comments: