The in-laws arrived today and they were bearings gifts. As long as they continue to bribe me with two pounds of Kaladi Coffee every time they enter our domicile, they can visit as often as they'd like. My cup runneth over with an El Salvador roast. Delicious. I'm a pushover for superior coffee. Sue me. STK and TLO will spend the next several days entertaining the 'rents. I have to work, of course. Still, STK and I will finally be able to workout together in the afternoons. In the pre-TLO years, we routinely visited the rec center together. When TLO entered the picture, we started working out at different times. Oh, we left him alone a couple of times but felt horribly guilty doing so. Kidding! Kidding!
School continues to go well. The first round of grading begins tomorrow. I'll have to grade 55 papers over the course of the next couple weeks ::stifles laughter:: Fifty-five papers sure beats the hell out of 230. Bring it on!
In other academic news, I'm reading The Dao of Rhetoric, a book that offers an Eastern perspective on the art of rhetoric. Even though I love the source material and respect the author for his new approach to rhetorical studies, I'm finding the book a bit simplistic. Combs, the author, scratches the surface regarding some intriguing ideas but just doesn't take his analysis far enough. I'm all about clarity and economy, but this guy takes these concepts to a new level. At a third of the way through, I'm hoping he digs deeper further along in the text. We shall see. Once I finish Dao, Nation of Rebels: Why Counterculture Became Consumer Culture is next in the cue.
I've also been invited to participate in an academic reading group. SMC is a liberal arts college. That means we, the faculty, don't have the opportunity to interact with graduate students. That's not entirely a negative thing--maybe I'll dissert on that at a later date. That said, several of us from Philosophy, Religious Studies, and Communication Studies decided to get together and do some reading/discussing on our own. Our first book is Butler's Precarious Life: The Powers of Mourning and Violence. We're meeting once a month so the actual reading shouldn't be the frenzied, I-have-too-many-chapters-and-not-enough-time style of reading we all mastered in graduate school.
I understand Bush nominated a crony for the Supreme Court seat vacated my Sandra Day O'conor. Honestly, I can't even get myself excited about reading up on the pick. If I spend time reading up on her I'm sure I'll work myself into a frenzy over something over which I have absolutely have no power. I'll read up on her, discover she represents everything I despise about Bush and his administration, and go to bed wondering if there are any academic openings in Canada. The only solution is to avoid the political brouhaha for the next few weeks. I'll have to settle for reading Harriet Mier's blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment