In the latest poll, 55 percent of the respondents said that they would vote for the Democratic candidate if Bush were again running for the presidency this year.
What a difference a botched war, bungled hurricane response, and lame-ass Supreme Court Justice nomination makes. Good thing I'm not one to say, "I told you so." Oh, who am I kidding . . .
I told you so.
8 comments:
Of course, if more of those people had bothered to vote the first time, we'd have John Kerry to blame for all of this....
And I'd still be able to say, "I told you so." ;)
Well, that's true. :)
And I guess that kind identifies what bothers me. We seem collectively to have developed an "anyone but ____" mentality (if that's the right word) in the US. Take California, for example: "Anyone but Davis...even if it's a bodybuilder-turned-actor with a history of bad movies and the use of performance-enhancing substances."
So 55% of Americans would pick 'the Democratic candidate'. Any particular candidate, folks? Al Sharpton? Jesse Jackson? How about the elected officials of Louisiana whose responsibility it was, at least in theory, to have a disaster plan in place in case of a hurricane? You think any or all of those people would do a better job?
Please.
I'm taking an "Anyone but a Republican or Democrat" approach.
Regarding the hurricane disaster, both the event and the response, the whole thing was botched all along the line. There's no doubt city, state, and federal officials all bear some of the blame. That said, it really gets my goat that Bush appointed a buddy who had NO disaster management experience to head FEMA. Appointing qualified friends is one thing--every administration does. Appointing unqualified friends is another--every administration does it but this one got caught.
Here's an idea: home about some freakin competent leaders for a change? How about looking outside the lifetime politician box?
Here's an idea: How about extending the Constitutionally imposed Presidential term limit to ALL state and federal elected officials? Two terms or 10 years, that's all, you're done.
THAT would shake things up.
I would LOVE to see that happen, Mike.
As would I...which means that it will never happen in our lifetime. Of course, the Red Sox and White Sox have both won the World Series now, so who knows....?
Speaking for my people (Cub fans), wait 'til next year!
Post a Comment