My contract from Small Midwest College arrived and everything seems in order. I've filled out all the appropriate paperwork and signed on the dotted line. The contract zips to SMC tomorrow and everything should be official. I also heard from my department Chair and we've been emailing back and forth in regard to my fall teaching schedule. I'll be teaching Public Address (public speaking), Media & Society (which I'll teach more as a popular culture course), and a new course of my own design. I'm debating between Rhetoric of the Everyday or Rhetoric and Spirituality. I'll post a course description when I decide.
Several weeks ago I posted about my
Anyway, STK and I decided not to share this latest interview opportunity with my colleagues (I don't think any of them read my blog, anyway). Many grumbled when they heard about a second possible campus visit and the grumbling will certainly increase if I mention I turned down a third. As much as I love my profession, jealousy, ultra-competitiveness, and clashing egos are definitely a downside. I'm not totally immune to that part of my profession, either. There's a part of my mind whispering, "Tell 'em. TELL THEM. Tell them about all the attention you're receiving." Fortunately, I think, there's another part of my mind speaking mindfully: ""Sssshhhh. You already have a job at a school that fits you and your family's needs. Celebrate your accomplishments quietly. Hurting others serves no purpose."
If I could figure out exactly what happens when I meet people face-to-face and find a way to teach the skill to others, I could make millions. Of course, that would mean millions of possible competitors out there. If I ever figure it out, I think I'll keep it to myself.
1 comment:
May I recommend the Devil's Smoothie? This should work for you, but Kathleen will want to watch out for the echinacea. As I recall, you need to treat that with caution when you're pregnant. I dosed my entire family with this when Michael came down with his cold and, not only did his cold last for only four days, but all I had to cope with was a few minor aches. The kids didn't even show a blip on the radar where a cold is concerned.
Here's the recipe (attributed to Melissa at fallingstar.net):
1 1/2 cups Lemon Ginger Echinacea Juice (R.W. Knudsen brand) or all lemon juice
1/2 cup cranberry juice
2 fresh lemons, cut in quarters
1 T. chunk of fresh ginger, cut into small chunks
2-4 fresh garlic cloves, halved, 3 or so squirts of Echinacea extract
Throw ginger and garlic into the blender, along with the fresh lemon juice (don't worry about the pulp, you strain this later). Add the Echinacea to the blender as well and blend until everything is pulverized. Add the juices and blend until the mixture is light pink with foam on top. Strain into a glass (you can save the pulp for a ginger garlic citrus stir fry). You'll want to sit down when you drink this for the first time, as the combination of flavors is potent. Drink the entire liquid contents of the blender in as close to one shot as you can handle, then repeat the process for the next person. We divided the results in three for the kids and that seemed to have been about right.
Good luck, guys.
Post a Comment