I'm sure my lack of posting has been noticed by a few. My world has been EXTREMELY hectic for the last couple weeks. So hectic, that I've been barely hanging on by a thread. Welcome to my world.
1. The midterm deluge had me swamped for a couple weeks. All told, I graded 40 journals, 35 papers, and 175 exams. I just finished the last exam earlier today. I moved a test back one day in an upcoming class so I can have two weekends to write. Writing has been on the back burner for far too long.
2. Thirteen tenure track job applications have been mailed--the 14th will likely go out on Friday. An academic job application consists of a vita, cover letter, research statement, teaching philosophy, writing samples, teaching evaluations, and sample syllabi. All told, my application packet is over 100 pages. Easy right? Wrong. Each school needs an individual letter describing what you can bring to their department. On the day I sent out one of the apps, I found out that school has an inside candidate. An inside candidate is usually an adjunct already teaching at the school. When an inside candidate is in the mix, it's almost impossible to land a job at that school.
3. I spent much of last week listening to Starhawk at a local peace workshop. Several years ago, her writings changed my life. Spending several hours learning from her was most excellent.
4. I'm still freaking out about the prospect of being a dad again. First doctor's appointment is next week. The less I think about all of that the better.
5. Reading: Hegemony or Survival. Faith of the Fallen.
6. Listening: Anna Waronker. Siouxsie and the Banshees.
1 comment:
I was unaware of the Goodkind site. Thanks for the link. I found the "Philosophy" section especially interesting.
Post a Comment