After running Gene's recommended test, I had little hope for salvaging my computer.* So, I packed it up and took it to a local mom and pop computer shop--which is literally run by a mom and pop--to talk about testing the remaining components (ethernet card, video card, RAM, hard drive, etc.) and a possible rebuild. After the computer whiz confirmed my PC wouldn't do anything, he tried a spare power source. Viola! Ten minutes later a new power source is strapped in and humming along. Time in the shop: 15 minutes. $50 for a new power source and $25 for labor is FAR better than $600-700 for a completely new PC.
All things considered, I'm lucky I dodged the fried motherboard/CPU bullet. Thank the maker.
*To Gene's credit, he did say there was outside shot I'd fried the power source. Good call, Gene.
5 comments:
I have never been so delighted to be wrong. I'm glad it's working, Derek.
Nice dodge, Derek. I was afraid it was going to be something really bad.
You realize, of course, that this is only the beginning of your computer troubles. Mark my words, one day down the road, the little one is going to put an Oreo cookie into your floppy drive....
Could be worse, Michael. It could be a peanut butter sandwich in the DVD player.
Touché, Tiffany. Sounds like the voice of experience to me....
What have I done?!
Post a Comment