Friday, June 22, 2007

Returned

We drove into the garage around 4 AM this morning, thus completing our two week Colorado journey. This is probably the last time we'll do the 16 hour drive straight through. I don't know if we're getting old or what, but we were really dragging the last couple hours. Would you believe two weeks wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted to do? Despite missing out on Fashion Nation, the new location of the Tattered Cover/Twist & Shout, the Botanic Gardens, and the newly renovated art museum, we did spend tons of time with friends and family. Some of the highlights of the trip follow.
  • Kaladi Bros, Kaladi Bros, and more Kaladi Bros. As STK's folks live less than five minutes from the coffee house, you can bet I made multiple stops every single day.
  • Finally meeting Nancy, Michael's wife. Michael finally meeting TLO. TLO's middle name is Michael. The connection is intentional.
  • Spending a ton of time with M, C, and their little one, R. If anything happens to STK and I--knock on wood--TLO will live with M & C.
  • Quality family time. No major disagreements. This trip was, without a doubt, the most pleasant time I've spent with my family as an adult.
  • The VNV Nation show. I will never understand why people find the "live" performance of computerized electronic music all that engaging--three songs into the show I was kicking myself for not bring a book--but it was awesome to see all our long lost friends. Totally worth the price of admission. For the record: I really like listening/dancing to VNV Nation, but I won't ever see them "live" again. It's too much like watching the lead singer do karaoke to his own album.
  • TLO's birthday and Father's Day fell on the same day. For Father's Day, I went for a long 7.5 mile run and then shuffled off to--you guessed it--Kaladi Bros! By the time I returned home from Kaladi Bros, TLO's birthday brunch was set to begin. STK's family showered TLO with good food, gifts, and more attention than he could handle. We repeated the ritual later that afternoon with my folks. Birthday cake twice in one day? Heaven!
  • Tattoos. STK and I made what has become our annual pilgrimage to see Jen at Mantra Tattoo. STK finally took the plunge and inked a piece she designed over the course of the last year. Stretching across the top of her back, the piece took almost three hours. My piece, a small triskele on my left wrist, took less than an hour. I'll post pics when the healing process if finishing.
I know I'm missing several "most excellent" moments, but those are the major highlights. We're headed back in August for another 7-10 days, I think. Here's to seeing those we missed on the most recent journey!

1 comment:

Elusis said...

Dude, VNV now has not only Mark beating the shit out of the drum kit, but two keyboardists as well - what isn't live about that?

I'm really glad I got to see you guys, even briefly. And I totally took your suggestions about my interview. :)