Yes, it's been even longer than usual in terms of my sporadic updates. The lack of posts is not without reason, however. First, we're in the middle of a two week foray to the homeland: Colorful Colorado! Second, and this is really why I haven't been able to post for several days, is that I had a rather stupid accident roughly nine days ago.
While trimming the hedges with an electric trimmer, I somehow managed to mistake my left index finger and thumb for a piece of shrubbery. For the record, human flesh does not provide the same amount of resistance as wood. When the accident occured, I leapt out of the shrubs shouting a very loud "frak!", peered down at my mangled fingers, and shouted to STK that we should head to the Emergency Room post haste. Unfortunately, I do not do well with my own blood. I'll save all the gory details but I came extremely close to passing out while STK raced us to the hospital.
No permanent damage, but a bunch of painful stitches. I'm not sure how aesthetically pleasing my fingers will be--they were pretty torn up--but they will be fully functional.* And that's what counts. When I sat in the emergency room, not knowing the full extent of the damage, I feared some kind of long-lasting damage. I'm damn lucky I didn't lose a finger.
As we left the Emergency Room, my fingers pieced together and wrapped up in pressure bandages that looked like white dill pickes, I turned to STK and said, "If this isn't an excellent argument for hiring someone to do the hedgues, I don't know what is."
*I could finally type with no pain yesterday. Stitches will come out in a little under a week.
7 comments:
OUCH.
And: you're in Colorado? [meaningful look]
We are, indeed, in Colorado through the 21st. We spent the last few days doing the family thing with the 'rents and grand'rents. We're headed north to Loveland for the next couple days but hope to catch up with all our friends this weekend. We were thinking that dancing on Saturday night might be cool?
Oh yeah, that. I was expecting a political rant when I saw the title. :) Glad your fingers are okay.
It was great to see the three of you the other day. I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip!
Well, no wonder you've been AWOL! I'm glad to see your fingers are on the mend.
They appear to have mended just in time for that Captain America collection....check your e-mail when you have the inclination.
Ok, you beat my stabbing myself in the hand incident +10 I think
I dreamed last night that we met on the parking structure of the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry. You were in town for a conference, and was twice paged over the P.A. (do you know anyone named Christine Taylor? And not the actress married to Ben Stiller?). Also, my friend Dave G is coincidentally at the museum, convenient since you both have the same facial hair. We mostly talk about Star Wars (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/rpgsagaed) and Heroes.
Just got your response. I was camping over the weekend. And I leave Wednesday for a job interview at JFK University in San Fran. :(
(I should mention that I'll get to see The Start on Saturday at the DNA Lounge when I'm there for PopRoxx...)
Post a Comment