Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Weekly Reader: Hexagons, History, and Honeybees

Hexagon Weather Formation on Saturn? You know, our solar system is a really cool place. How long before someone suggests an advanced civilization is behind the odd shape?

300 Heroes. I've yet to see the film but I found this review, one that compares the theatrical adaptation to the actual historical events, particularly interesting. Can you imagine agreeing to be part of a delaying action in the face of tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands, of armed invaders? I'd pee my leather thong, for sure.

Honeybees in Significant Decline. I've been following this story for a couple of months. I heard a couple bee specialists on NPR two weeks back and the situation sounds dire indeed. What the heck could cause entire colonies to just up and disappear? I realize the agricultural implications but my reason for concern is more selfish in nature: I love honey. Not just a little, but a lot. A raw honey and peanut butter sandwich is my lunch of choice almost every other day. Save the bees! A man's gotta eat.

5 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

The hex on Saturn is a huge ad for HERO games. :)

Michael said...

Let me recommend that you buy honey in the glass bottles. The plastic ones melt too easily.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'd have to worry about soiling your thong or your Dr. Martens. If you really were a Greek warrior, you would have fought naked. Plus, you'd be a whole lot hairier than the waxed dudes in the film.

As for the bees. I think they are above our likes and dislikes. They've decided to stop being exploited for our sandwiches. Don't fret though. They aren't dead. Their mathematical prowess is far beyond ours. They have just shifted into another dimension where there are more flowers and less corn.

Susan A. Hubbard said...

...so we get to see you in a leather thong??

dilliwag said...

"...so we get to see you in a leather thong??"

If I'm ever faced with the prospect of holding off several hundred thousand armed invaders, you bet! In the mean time, seeing me in my Speedo at the local swimming pool will have to be enough.