Wednesday, December 06, 2006

blather

*The semester is wrapping up and it can't come too soon. The final two weeks of the semester are always insane in terms of grading. That said, the current grading avalanche is nothing compared to when I had 230 students a semester. By comparison, 59 students makes for easy work.

*We're making the transition to broadband phone service next week. With the recent cell phone purchase, the 911 issue is no longer a problem (power outage=no internet access=no phone--not a great combination with an infant in the house). Our local broadband company finally seduced me to the dark side with the promise of no phone charge for six months, then only $30/month for phone service including voice mail (Qwest doesn't offer the voice mail service in our area. Huh?), unlimited long distance, etc.

*I should be grading papers tonight but we've lined up a sitter and we're heading to see Casino Royale with Dr. OneDink and J. I've always loved Bond and can't wait to see what appears to be one of the best critically received Bonds. Did I mention it's free popcorn night at the local theater? Gotta love the small town mentality.

*We won't be making it back to Colorado for the holidays. STK works until the 22nd and we both return to work on January 3. If we factor in two days out and two days back, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time to actually enjoy the Big City. So, we've decided to stick it out until we're both off for summer break.

*I'm thinking about submitting an abstract, one that's been refused a couple other places, to the 2007 SW/Texas Popular Culture Association convention (Albuquerque). I still have some travel funds available and might as well use them up, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bummer to know you won't be with us in Denver at the holidays! We'll just have to wait for warmer weather I guess.

- sheila