Friday, December 08, 2006

From the Should be Sleeping Department: The Anarchist Wine Cellar

I found the following in an interview with Emily Haines, front woman for Metric, sometime member of Broken Social Scene, and recently gone soloteer (Knives Don’t Have Your Back)

Interviewer: I’m sure your hosts will be impressed when you arrive on their doorstep with a fine imported bottle of Italian red.

Haines: Most of my friends and family—we’re anarchists—so I need to be very careful. I’ll buy a bottle of wine that I think is great, but it will turn out to be from some region that was destroyed by the establishment. I’ll become very unpopular.


Awesome. Socially conscious wine shopping. Heh.

If Gwen Stefani and Sarah McLachlan weren't taking up all my celebrity crush head space, Emily Haines would be a definite candidate.

On a more serious note, STK and I met Haines a few years back at an extremely small club in Denver. She spotted us (the only alternatively dressed people in a sea of frat inspired fashion) and asked us to hang out with her at the merchandise table for the better part of the night. I'm sure she has no recollection of that evening but it meant a lot to us. Why would Emily Haines spend 2-3 hours with a couple fans in Denver? I'd like to think it's because STK and I are good people and exude authenticity with those we meet. Who knows. One thing is certain, STK and I won't forget the night we hung out with Emily Haines. She's the real deal and I'm certain she really does choose her wine carefully.

No comments: