Sunday, June 11, 2006

Run, Forrest, Run

I started training for a 15k run, today. The "race" takes place at the end of July and, let me assure you, I have no intention of actually competing with the other runners. Running has always been more stress relief and mental health maintenance than any kind of competitive activity. When T mentioned an interest in the local race, I decided to participate. So, my regular running routine needs to gradually increase until July 29 (I think that's the day of the race--I can't find the formal schedule).

I'm actually in a great place to start a six week increased training program. During our trip back to Colorado, I started running almost every day; during the school year, I run about every other day. Since returning to Small Midwest Town, I've kept up my daily pace. After three weeks of daily running, I'm already in excellent shape and logging close to five miles a day (I'm terrible about actually keeping track of mileage--I typically run for a certain length of time). Still, I'll need to eke out another 4.3 miles over the course of the next several weeks. To reach that goal, a couple things need to happen.

First, I need to stick with a specific training program. The training program I'm modifying incorporates a combination of strength training/short runs (three miles), moderate runs (give to six miles), cross training, and long runs (seven to nine miles). The schedule I've put together looks something like the following.

Monday: Short run/strength training
Tuesday: Moderate run
Wednesday: 60 minutes cross training (biking or swimming)
Thursday: Short run/strength training
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long run
Sunday: 60 minute cross training

Overall, my workout schedule won't be impacted greatly. I already stretch/run/cool down over the course of 1-1.25 hours. At the most, I'll be adding 15-30 minutes a day. No problem during the summer months. During the school year, that would be a definite problem.

Second, and this is no doubt a part of my training to which STK will grumble or outright object; I need to drop about five pounds of body weight. Over the course of the past year, I've allowed more junk food to enter my diet than I'd like. Couple that with the lack of weight lifting the past year and you'll get a redistribution of weight on my body. I've lost a few pounds of muscle and put on a few pounds of flab. Most people can't see a noticeable difference in my body shape, but I can. My weight remains the same, but I'm definitely not the leanest I've been. That was early last summer. Replacing some of the candy I eat with proteins and extra fruits/vegetables should do the trick. With the increased activity, I realize I'll have to increase calories a bit to keep myself from losing too much weight. If I cut out the candy and some of the ice cream (I just can't give up the occasional blueberry cheesecake tornado), I'll drop the weight within two weeks.

The reason for dropping a bit of weight is simple: I run better when I'm leaner. Dropping three percent of body weight alleviates many of the regular aches and pains I experience from running: runners knee, hip tendonitis (most likely associated with the knee problem), and the occasional sore ankle. With the increased strength training, I may not even lose any weight. The increased muscle mass may replace the small amount of flab that exists on my body.* Either way, the aches and pains disappear when I'm a tad bit leaner or musclier (is that even a word?).

Here's to pain free running. Yeah, right. Like that's happened at any time in the last five years.

*To my faithful readers who know me in person: yes, I realize I am skinner/scrawnier than most. What counts as a little extra weight on my body probably wouldn't be counted as extra anything by most others. This isn't a weight issue for me, but a performance issue. Trust me, STK won't let me drop too much before asking, "Are you losing weight? You need to eat more ice cream."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

skinner/scrawnier than most?

If you get any smaller, TLO could take you.

Michael said...

I ran 5K's in high school - 20 years ago - and I felt like I was going to die at the end sometimes (especially at the Erie race, which was held at the motocross course). I can't imagine doing a 15K at my/our age. Good for you!

Michael said...

To my faithful readers who know me in person: yes, I realize I am skinner/scrawnier than most.

'Emaciated' is the word you're looking for, methinks. It's what my mother said.