I always envision summer as a leisurely three months during which time I'll sleep late, stay up late, work on potential journal articles, spend many a day with STK, and generally relax. Why doesn't it ever work out quite like I imagine?
I spent the last couple days dealing with identity theft issues. Someone has managed to pilfer my name and SS# and is trying to open various accounts, use my credit cards, and engage in financial nogoodery. Thankfully, every single one of my creditors detected the unusual activity, denied charges, and called me immediately. The opening of accounts is another matter. I received a credit card for which I never applied in yesterday's mail. This wasn't an offer, mind you, but a fully approved credit card with a $9000 limit. Somewhere along the line, the scofflaw screwed up and the card was sent to my old address, then forwarded to my current whereabouts. When I talked to the issuing company, the request for the card was received via an online application. To make a long story short, they cancelled the card immediately and I set about putting a fraud alert on my credit record. What a pain in the ass. I filed a formal identity theft report with the FTC, filled out a local police report (they can't do anything, really, but the report serves as formal documentation for the start of the trouble), contacted all existing creditors to request new cards, and checked with my bank about how to protect our checking/saving accounts. Despite the hassle, we're now about as protected as possible considering the cirumstances. STK and I will probably have to put some kind of extended potential fraud alert on our respective credit reports. We're covered for 90 days while we figure out how to do the long term thing. It's a bit scary that this is occuring but we haven't suffered any real financial damage. Thank The Powers That Be for that.
Everything looks good for the Monday closing on our new digs. By 12:30 PM Monday, we should have papers signed and keys in our possession. Can't wait to start the moving process. I LOVE moving. Fortunately, a move of 0.9 miles is infinitely better than a move of 879.3 miles. We'll spend two weeks moving most of our possessions and already have three pickups and a half dozen friends & family scheduled to help us move the furniture. Seriously, we're probably looking at three or four hours of work when it comes to the final move. Once we've signed the official paperwork on Monday, I'll post some pictures of the interior of our new home. I don't want to jinx anything.
Did I mention that STK received her offical Master Educator license? With that in hand, everything is 100% go on her new teaching position. Things are going to be a bit more hectic in our household come mid-August.
All that school work and writing I was going to do this summer? I've spent a total of 4 hours at the office in the last four weeks. Heh. Best laid plans and all that.
No comments:
Post a Comment