Monday, September 26, 2005

My Space

The office rennovation project continues. I'm not one of those people who can work in a sterile office space. Several of my colleagues, both here at SMC and various other institutions, seem to take that stark, minimalist approach to office decorating. You can't find a picture of a friend, family member or pet, let alone a pen, pencil, or book. In fact, it's difficult to tell anyone even sits at the desk on a regular basis. That kind of environment just doesn't work for me. Every office space I've occupied, even if it was only a desk, announced "D Lives Here!"

My present office is no exception . . . except that I now have an entire office to myself. Green Lantern (the JLA Animated John Stewart), Mace Windu, Jabba's Palace Luke Skywalker, Shaak-Ti, Luminara, Superman, Godzilla, and Devil Ducky inhabit various regions of my desk. Ymir and diecast versions of the Justice League animated grace my bookshelf. The wall next to my desk displays an assortment of band posters, popular culture postcards (Blondie, Sid Vicious, Star Trek), and interesting advertisements. With the decorating essentially finished, I turned to music.

Since I spend a great deal of time in my office, I decided to rip a few CDs to the ol' HD. This is a new practice for me--I usually don't play music through my computer. However, since I really don't have any other media system in my office, the computer has to suffice. I loaded the following CDs earlier today.

Liz Phair--Exile In Guysville
Liz Phair--whitechocolatespaceegg
The Clash--London Calling
The Ramones--Ramones Mania
The Muffs--Really Really Happy
Metric--Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
Joy Division--Unknown Pleasures
Ray Charles--The Very Best of Ray Charles
Miles Davis--Kind of Blue
The Sex Pistols--Englands Burning Ha Ha Ha
Blondie--The Best of Blondie
Siouxsie Sioux and the Bashees--The Best of

It's an eclectic mix, but it should keep me occupied when I tire of Internets radio.

No comments: