Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tool Time!

Four days away from M-Day, moving day, and, as one would guess, things are a bit chaotic around the hacienda. Various boxes litter the carpeted landscape; there are endless errands to run and too many people to see. We're really trying to make time for everyone who wants to see us, but we're running out of time and energy. Continually disrupting TLO's schedule isn't helping is disposition, either. As of today, anyone who wants to see us has to stop by our place. Even though it's summer and I'm getting less sleep than normal, I've started setting my alarm. I need maximum pack/errand/visit time in my day. The lost hour of sleep really doesn't mean much--I ran on far less sleep throughout the past school year.

Yesterday, in what is surely a sign of the end times, I went in search of assorted hardware and power tools. In what I see as a bit of consumer irony, I purchased a 50-foot extension cord and a cordless screwdriver. Today, I'm headed out to buy a 6' stepladder and a hand truck. Do these purchases mean I'm finally becoming a grown up? Make no mistake, I'd rather be buying something fun like a new laptop, a Star Wars maquette, or a new pair of Doc Martens. Still, spending $$$ on toys for the next couple months seems kind of frivolous.

Tonight, we're headed north to see friends and family. My mother's birthday is tomorrow, so we're stopping by the 'rents tonight for a bit o' cake and celebrating. My sister and nephew will also be there. Oh, and I bet my parents make me take the boxes I've been storing in their basement for the last fifteen years. Can you say "comic books"?

5 comments:

Michael said...

> In what I see as a bit of consumer irony, I purchased a 50-foot extension cord and a cordless screwdriver.

ROTFLMAO!

Not for use together, I hope.... ::smirk::

Seriously, though, good luck on the move. Drive carefully. Are you driving a U-Haul, or using professionals? Just curious.

Your Host said...

No, Derek, you're not becoming any more grown-up than the rest of us.

But I have to concur with Michael and second that with a *snerk*.

Anonymous said...

Do you need some boxes? I've got a huge stack that you can have. I've also got U-Haul wardrobe boxes that I'd be glad to swap for a small amount of cash.

- Sheila

dilliwag said...

Michael--

We're going the DIY route. My contract at SMC includes moving expenses but nowhere near what's needed to hire professionals. So, GoPenske! it is. My back will be destroyed by next Wednesday ;) Joe, a longtime Denver friend, is helping us with the drive. My folks are joining the wagon train, too. They'll make the trip, help us settle in for a couple days, then visit friends in the Old Country.

Sheila--

Thanks for the box offer but I think we're set. M & C delivered a plethora of cardboard last week.

Michael said...

"The Old Country". That cracks me up! I found myself describing Colorado with those exact words the other day.